help me to understand a custom rifle build (updated 11/18)

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Precision

Re: help me to understand a custom rifle build (updated 11/18)

Post by Precision »

I may end up going that route. It does make more sense. I had steered away from that because of no ability to put bottom metal. But as a training platform and at 1/4 the price, it makes a lot of sense. 6.5x284 and by the time I burn the barrel, I might have a real idea of what the next one needs to be.
Thanks guys for doing the Savage research. I have been a little brain tied. I think the holiday, the move and just the fact that I still wake up in shock that Dawn isn't in the bed have me a little depressed and a little off my game.

Probably smarter for that reason alone to get the Savage.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Precision wrote:5x284 and by the time I burn the barrel, I might have a real idea of what the next one needs to be.
And when you do that, I'll give ya thoidy cents on the dolla fer it, even with a shot out barrel.. :mrgreen:

Criterion, among others, makes a variety of prefitted replacement barrels.

And the reason i know so much about it, is i want one.. BADLY. :ugeek:

Come to the dark side, before long, I'll have you on a wating list for a Seb Neo, reloading using an analytic scale and wilson dies, and wondering how the hell it took you 20 hours to load 50 rounds of ammunition. :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Precision

Post by Precision »

HTRN wrote:
Precision wrote:5x284 and by the time I burn the barrel, I might have a real idea of what the next one needs to be.
And when you do that, I'll give ya thoidy cents on the dolla fer it, even with a shot out barrel.. :mrgreen:

Criterion, among others, makes a variety of prefitted replacement barrels.

And the reason i know so much about it, is i want one.. BADLY. :ugeek:

Come to the dark side, before long, I'll have you on a wating list for a Seb Neo, reloading using an analytic scale and wilson dies, and wondering how the hell it took you 20 hours to load 50 rounds of ammunition. :mrgreen:
Tempting offer, but I don't sell guns.

The dark side. I think I am already there. Just needing some detailed instructions on how to spend more money on these things. I think I am gonna call in my order for the Savage 18155 today. Have to see how long it will take to get in. The waiting always sucks.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Precision

Post by Precision »

I caved in to common sense this afternoon. I placed my order for the Savage F-class in 6.5x284. With my awesomeness discount, my out the door price will be just under $1300. Not sure how awesome that makes me. The good new, the gun should be at the MOD in two weeks or so.

Then I dropped a several hundred on dies, 200 bullets, 100 pieces of brass and some cleaning supplies at Sinclair. I will be getting some 4831 and some 4350 locally, then I will be home brewing some bullets and breaking the gun in, then testing the loads. The bullets were two different Berger 140's. I was also gonna buy some JLK's but their website was acting hokey and I figured go with the Bergers unless they don't work. Simpler that way.

Once I get going, I will need to figure out what other tools I need and in what order. Should be lots of fun even if it slowly drains me dry. :D
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Precision wrote:Then I dropped a several hundred on dies, 200 bullets, 100 pieces of brass and some cleaning supplies at Sinclair.
Tell me what you bought, and I'll tell you what you did wrong. :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
randy

Post by randy »

HTRN wrote:
Precision wrote:Then I dropped a several hundred on dies, 200 bullets, 100 pieces of brass and some cleaning supplies at Sinclair.
Tell me what you bought, and I'll tell you what you did wrong. :mrgreen:
Tell him what you didn't buy and he'll tell you what you did wrong.

He's flexible that way. :twisted:
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Precision

Post by Precision »

Stock Number / Description Retail Price Your Price Quantity Total
749-008-299WS (In Stock)
Redding Competition Bushing Neck Die Set 6.5-284 Norma
Write a Review $239.99 $239.99 1 $239.99
749-007-835WS (In Stock)
6.5/284 Winchester Lapua Brass 100/Box
Write a Review $129.99 $109.99 1 $109.99
749-005-242WS (In Stock)
Berger 6.5mm 140 gr Match Target VLD Bullets - 100
Write a Review $46.99 $46.99 1 $46.99
749-005-239WS (In Stock)
6.5mm (.264") 140gr Match Hunting VLD 100/Box
Write a Review $46.99 $46.99 1 $46.99
749-101-660WS (In Stock)
Bore Tech Proof Positive Nylon Rifle Brush (3 pack), 6.5 mm
Write a Review $7.49 $7.49 1 $7.49

I am gonna get some h4831sc and some h4350 powder to see how they work.
I already have a hornady brass trimmer.
For now, I shouldn't have to worry about donuts, but eventually I need a neck trimmer.
I know I will need a better scale -- suggestions

What other thing am I going to want as I chase smaller groups
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

The Redding dies are one of the best choices available for those who dont want to make the leap to arbor dies.

Ditto the Bergers, but i think you're over looking the Sierra 142 VLD MK. It's used a fair number of 6.5 shooters as its performance is not far off the Bergers, and are much, much cheaper (Midway is currently having a sale: under200/500ct) Another popular option is Lapua scenars, but they tend to be even pricier than the Bergers. Some thing that isnt popular in competition, but may make economic sense for somebody whos learning, is the Hornady option. The trick is finding something with a high enough BC.

Lapua makes good brass usually, but they had a bad run of it in, iirc, 2006. Personally, i would have nosed around a few long range forums to see whos got the best at the moment.

H4350 and H4831SC are probably the two most popular powder choices for 6.5x284, but if you cant find a good load with either, you may want to try reloader 22 or 25, H1000, or even the imr versions of 4350 and 4831. There are some Vitavouri powders that are popular as well, but i dont bother with it as T&T doesnt carry it, and you almost never see the big jugs of it in retail stores. As soon as you find your load, goout and buy enough powder for 1200 to 1500 loads, WITH THE SAME LOT NUMBER. I can't emphasize this enough - CONSISTENCY IS EVERYTHING.

On that note, powder dispensing - the preferred method is to use an electronic dispenser, but set it a few tenths low of the intended charge weight. Then use a high precision analytic balance(like the 250 Gempro, which is the best sub 500 dollar option, but more than a few complaints) and trickle up to final charge weight using either a manual or electronic trickler. You can also use a manual scale to do this, i would reccommend hunting down an ohaus 10-10 on ebay if you decide to do so, and possibly use either a omega 2 trickler with break beam, and/or use their prism to better see the needle.

Precision

Post by Precision »

the Omega is out of stock most places and I think for now, I will just use my manual trickler. I see the benefit, but for reloading 10-20 rounds at a time I can afford the extra few seconds.

The 250 gempro is fairly cheap on Amazon at $125. gonna go ahead and get one. For now I am going to also skip the electric dispenser route. My mechanical dispenser is fine especially with the trickle charge and the Gempro. Set it a little low and trickle away.

Seeing as I am still the limiting factor, perfection on prep is not soooo important yet.

I picked up 1 # of 4350 and the same of 4831SC along with a box of the Hornady XLD 140 gr bullets, pretty much the same G7 BC as the Bergers. I don't want to get myself too many variables. Two powders and effectively 2 bullets as the two bergers should be pretty damn close to interchangable. I am going to run CCI primer at least at first. I have some standard and some benchrest so we will see if that makes any difference in SD / velocity.

I am not overlooking the Sierras. I didn't find them at my 2 go to stores and I want to limit my load work variables. If I can get the hornady or bergers to work, then I am done for now. If not, Sierra and JLK will join the mix.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

H4350 is stupid consistent interms of velocity over temperature, something like 25fps over 100f. Its one of the big reasons why its so popular in long range competition.

You might want to check 6mmbr.com for some articles on the 6.5x284, notably on what you can do to extend barrel life the big issue is carbon buildup in or close to throat.

You also might want to look at federal match primers, theyre very popular for this application.