help me to understand a custom rifle build (updated 11/18)

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Precision

Re: help me to understand a custom rifle build

Post by Precision »

I spoke with Russo about the stock. To get a fully adjustable laminate stock it is about $1000 so no price advantage over the Mcmillian but certainly way faster. They are certainly in contention. He has been very responsive and seems like a good guy so that is always an advantage. Thanks for the heads up.

Now off to finish packing for the trip from FL. Leaving at 3AM for the drive with the remainder of my crap. Then on the 10th my "pods" show up. Looks Like I have a full week and weekend. Sigh. But it will be over soon and then I can get back to living or whatever it is I call this.

I think I am going to make this happen in the next month or so.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Precision

Re: help me to understand a custom rifle build (updated 11/18)

Post by Precision »

Changed list of Items I am considering:

$1400--Borden LSR (repeater) with 20 MOA rail - cut for Wyatt bottom metal
$815 -- $525 plus $290 for fitting --Krieger barrel 30" Palma standard contour with threads for muzzle brake 1:8 twist in 7mm mag -- likely running 168
and 180 gr Investigating 300 winmag too
$1000 -- Russo equivalent of A3-5 in laminate
$350 -- Jewell HVRTS trigger blueprinted by Borden
$250 -- Wyatt bottom metal with 10 round mags
$200 -- Most likely the Farrell rings
$75 -- Muzzle brake for use with Suppressor if desired
$800 -- Vortex PST 4x16x50 FFP
$100 -- Harris or other quality / portable bipod

+/- $4000 not including glass

Assuming HTRN or anyone else doesn't have further ideas, suggestions regarding components.

Please walk me through the how.
Do I get Krieger to cut the barrel and send it to Borden, then Borden mates it up and puts the trigger in and mounts it all to the stock that I have Russo sent to them as well?

Who does the final chamber cutting?

Do I have Borden sent the assembled parts to Russo for inletting?

Help me to understand the mechanics of ending up with a complete gun, ready to shoot
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

You still have to fit metal to wood, how to you plan to accomplish that?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Precision

Post by Precision »

HTRN wrote:You still have to fit metal to wood, how to you plan to accomplish that?

I would have Russo do the inletting and such, then pillar bed it unless there is some reason not to.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Precision wrote:
HTRN wrote:You still have to fit metal to wood, how to you plan to accomplish that?

I would have Russo do the inletting and such, then pillar bed it unless there is some reason not to.
To pillar bed, he'll have to have the barreled action on hand. Does he have a FFL? Are you sure he offers this service?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Precision

Post by Precision »

HTRN wrote:
Precision wrote:

To pillar bed, he'll have to have the barreled action on hand. Does he have a FFL? Are you sure he offers this service?
Yes, he specifically asked for it and does offer the service. So that part should be fine.

How do I choose who puts the action and the barrel together, who does the final chamber... I know Kreiger can do it. I assume Borden can do it. Are there other fiddly bits that will need to be done too.

for arguments sake.

Get the action from Borden, send the Kreiger barrel to Borden (someone does the final chamber cut) Borden does any final squaring then assembles the action to the barrel, the trigger and bottom metal to the action and ships that off to Russo for the inletting and pillar bedding. In my brain that seems to cover the gamut. But what do I know?
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

You're at a point where, were this my project, I'd seriously consider just getting Something like this with the Jewell trigger and put your glass on it.

It's slightly more than your $4k number, all the heavy lifting is done, and it comes with an accuracy guarantee. Unless you /really/ want to be involved with the actual build as much as you can be...

I went this build route with 1911s and made a fine handgun out of parts, but spent wayyyyyyyy more than I needed to with the justification "the next one will be cheaper if I build it too" and-
1. haven't built another one since.
2. Don't necessarily want to at the moment.

If this current house deal falls through, I may just get that Hospitaller anyway....
Precision

Post by Precision »

Steamforger wrote:You're at a point where, were this my project, I'd seriously consider just getting Something like this with the Jewell trigger and put your glass on it.

It's slightly more than your $4k number, all the heavy lifting is done, and it comes with an accuracy guarantee. Unless you /really/ want to be involved with the actual build as much as you can be...

I went this build route with 1911s and made a fine handgun out of parts, but spent wayyyyyyyy more than I needed to with the justification "the next one will be cheaper if I build it too" and-
1. haven't built another one since.
2. Don't necessarily want to at the moment.

If this current house deal falls through, I may just get that Hospitaller anyway....
That is a good looking and good spec rifle, but for my goal of 1000 yds, dropping down to a 24" barrel is a deal breaker
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Precision wrote:That is a good looking and good spec rifle, but for my goal of 1000 yds, dropping down to a 24" barrel is a deal breaker
I bet they will build it with a longer barrel if you ask them to.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Netpackrat wrote:
Precision wrote:That is a good looking and good spec rifle, but for my goal of 1000 yds, dropping down to a 24" barrel is a deal breaker
I bet they will build it with a longer barrel if you ask them to.
Barrel Length: 24 inches (longer barrel special order)
Since every order is essentially a special order....

Precision, please don't misunderstand me as trying to talk you into something that I'd be very happy to have. I get that it's your build and the only person who has to be happy with it is you. It does seem to me that they would be willing to check all your boxes while doing the heavy lifting and guaranteeing a result for roughly the same price.

I only listed it because I thought you might want to know about it, if you already didn't. FWIW, Texas Brigade Armory and Iron Brigade Armory enjoy similar reputations for their builds last I was reading up on such things.

It IS a sexy beast isn't it???