Who's looking forward to Suicide Squad?

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
JAG2955

Re: Who's looking forward to Suicide Squad?

Post by JAG2955 »

Wife and I watched Batman v Superman. We're both pretty big comic book fans.

We didn't hate it. It was good, but the editing was terribly choppy. They didn't do a very good job of character introduction on Wonder Woman or Lex Luthor.

I really think that the writers and directors of DC comic movies go on Amazon, purchase the most popular DC story arcs, binge-read them over the weekend, then throw together a script Sunday night while chugging Red Bulls.

Let's see, all this was in B v S:
Introduction of new characters, Lex, Wonder Woman, and Robin (we see his costume, though he's dead. No spoiler, it's in the trailer)
[spoiler]Story arcs were: The Dark Knight Returns, Death of Superman (called it, accidentally), formation of the Justice League, Crisis on Infinite Earths, and Final Crisis. Maybe I'm even missing some more.

Other characters introduced: Doomsday, Darkseid, Cyborg, Flash, and Aquaman. And I'm trying to figure out if Lex (Alexander, as seen on the invitation) is supposed to be Alexander Luthor from Final Crisis.[/spoiler]

If you're on the fence about seeing this, or just plain hate Batman, let me say this: He kills the shit out of a lot of people in this movie, but it's not overt. He uses plenty of guns. And the dream sequence is how Batman should always be portrayed.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

So has anyone seen Suicide Squad in theaters?

Is it worth seeing if one just likes comic book movies in general but doesn't read comic books?

Maybe more importantly, would you see it with 18 and 24-year-old daughters who like comic book movies?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

I did get to go see it about two weeks ago. It was entertaining and worth seeing, and I would guess your daughters would enjoy it.

For people like me that aren't familiar with any of the characters, it does an acceptable job of introducing and giving the backstory on some of the characters, and a horrible job on others. But that aside, I didn't feel like I wasted my money or time.

[spoiler]Was it as spectacular as the trailers made it out to be? Not really. Honestly, Leto as the Joker was a big let down for me. The most interesting part of the movie was actually the main protagonist IMHO.[/spoiler]
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Is it worth a redbox rental? Yes.
Is it worth the nuisance of the theater and 1w dollar ticket Prices? No.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Haven't seen Suicide Squad and the last comic book I read was Archie in 1976. That wacky Jughead!

But I give a hearty two thumbs up to Deadpool. It was funny, creatively gave a good deal of info on the backstory to the non-geek and Morena Baccarin was a solid 10 on the Schwing Factor. I'll check out Suicide Squad when it comes to DVD because Margot Robbie is a solid 9 on the Schwing Factor. However, the unibrow chick does nothing for me.
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

It wound up being "just okay", to the wife and I. The character back stories were terribly lacking, except for three of them (Pyro, Deadshot, Harley Quinn). I wish that they would have gone more in depth into the back stories, and I would have cared a lot more. Characters like Captain Boomerang and Killer Croc got nothing as far as development goes.

We do get to see a quick shot of the Flash, though. Looks good.

The best part:
[spoiler]Was seeing that what Harley Quinn really wanted was simply to be with the Joker, and have a family. We postulated that she is still partially sane, and while she really wanted the family, she was willing to be whatever she had to be to stay with Joker.[/spoiler]

The worst part:
[spoiler]WTF, Amanda Waller? You're supposed to be a dirtbag bureaucrat, not a homicidal murderer. Not sure what I thought about her interaction with Bruce Wayne, either.[/spoiler]
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Boomerang was probably the biggest disappointment, after reading what the director said to the actor ("release your inner shitbag"), and what the early part of the film hinted at, only for it to turn into the dead shot and harley show ("guest starring depressed pyromaniac, El Diablo"). Killer croc, boomerang, and parkour guy were basically forgotten, along with Kahana widow.. :roll:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

rightisright wrote:Haven't seen Suicide Squad and the last comic book I read was Archie in 1976. That wacky Jughead!

But I give a hearty two thumbs up to Deadpool. It was funny, creatively gave a good deal of info on the backstory to the non-geek and Morena Baccarin was a solid 10 on the Schwing Factor.
Agreed. But I didn't take my daughters to it, and I told them not to go.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

HTRN wrote:Boomerang was probably the biggest disappointment, after reading what the director said to the actor ("release your inner shitbag"), and what the early part of the film hinted at, only for it to turn into the dead shot and harley show ("guest starring depressed pyromaniac, El Diablo"). Killer croc, boomerang, and parkour guy were basically forgotten, along with Kahana widow.. :roll:
I think early test screening must've influenced that. Tits and Will Smith; a combo that can't do wrong (except for tits on Will Smith, like in 'Wild, Wild West').
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia