Ilse's first squirrel hunt

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
Vonz90

Ilse's first squirrel hunt

Post by Vonz90 »

She has gone with me a number of times both squirrel and rabbit hunting, and I have even been letting her tote a firearm along, but this is the first time that I have actually given her rounds for said firearm other than in a target shooting environment. Sadly, she has not quite gotten used to getting the thing on target in a reasonable amount of time, so no squirrels were harmed in the endeavor, but still a big milestone for her (especially considering the mess she was when we got her from Russia).
Last edited by Vonz90 on Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
First Shirt

Re: Ilse's first squirel hunt

Post by First Shirt »

Outstanding! Tell her it does get easier, with practice.

Congratulations on your new hunting partner!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
randy

Post by randy »

Much Coolness! Bravo Zulu
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Very cool
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

You should have seen me on my first dove hunt. The first dozen or so birds that flew by were absolutely in no danger of being harmed. The 13th was brought down grudgingly on all three shots.

By the end of the day I had it together in an acceptable fashion and nothing was getting by except for one particular and crafty dove who saw me, pulled his wings in, dropped to 1.5' AGL, and hit the afterburners.
randy

Post by randy »

Steamforger wrote:...particular and crafty dove who saw me, pulled his wings in, dropped to 1.5' AGL, and hit the afterburners.
Lucky for you he wasn't carrying HARMs or ROCKEYEs :mrgreen:
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

One of the more "memorable" discussions I had with my grandpa about hunting regulations came about when he caught me shooting doves off of a power line with a single-shot .22.

Hey, I went six-for-six before he caught me!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

First Shirt wrote:One of the more "memorable" discussions I had with my grandpa about hunting regulations came about when he caught me shooting doves off of a power line with a single-shot .22.

Hey, I went six-for-six before he caught me!
Hey Ho! The same thing happened to me. But it was a .177 cal bb gun. Those doves can take a LOT of bbs before falling. And the neighbor called my dad. He was NOT happy.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

It was worse when he caught me calling in quail and shooting them on the ground with the same .22! Didn't see the rifle again for a month, and didn't sit comfortably for almost as long!

He was pretty sure that 8-year-old kids were not fit for civilized society.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Nice, Vonz!

My kids were killing doves in the back yard with a ELGS blow gun. I showed them how to cook them, and told them don't get caught. ;)
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D