Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Windy Wilson

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Windy Wilson »

Weetabix wrote:Just finished Eats, Shoots, and Leaves. I'm not sure what it says about me that I really enjoy reading about punctuation, but there it is. :geek:
I'll make an image of my rules for "Using English Good" and post it in humor.

I've read about four of the Jack Reacher books, something called The 14th Colony by Steve Berry which was pretty good, and I'm almost through with "The Secret War" by Max Hastings, it's supposedly a comprehensive report on not only cryptography in WW2 but also spies and saboteurs, too. I didn't know that Dusan Popov's code name was "Tricycle" because he liked threesomes.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Just finished "Monster HUnter: Grunge" and just in time for the eARC version of "Alliance of Shadows".

Good stuff, Maynard!!!!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Just finished God Save The Child, the first Spenser book, I think. In it, we meet Quirk, Belson, Healy, Susan, and Henry Cimoli. It's almost like he planned that whole ride. :D
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Presently reading Lost To The West, by Lars Brownworth. It's about the Byzantime Empire and its forgotten legacy to western culture. Another cheerful read. "Why'd Constantinople get the works? It's nobody's business but the Turks!"

https://www.amazon.com/Lost-West-Forgot ... 0307407969
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Darrell wrote:Presently reading Lost To The West, by Lars Brownworth. It's about the Byzantime Empire and its forgotten legacy to western culture. Another cheerful read. "Why'd Constantinople get the works? It's nobody's business but the Turks!"

https://www.amazon.com/Lost-West-Forgot ... 0307407969
I really enjoyed that book.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

I've just finished 'Brings the Lightning' by Peter Grant. This is the review I posted on Amazon...
This should be a movie...

But keep it the hell away from Hollywierd. I haven't read any of Louis L'Amour's westerns, so I have no basis for comparison there. I am, however, a fan of western movies, particularly 'Silverado', 'Unforgiven', 'Tombstone', and pretty much anything with John Wayne.

My two all time favorite movies are 'Gettysburg' and 'Gods and Generals'. These are the only movies made in the last 30 years that show people on both sides of the Civil War, civilian and military, as People, rather than as stainless heroes fighting unspeakable villains.

Mr. Grant has captured that essence with 'Brings the Lightning'. I've read and liked all of his 'Maxwell' and 'Laredo' series books, but the character development and storytelling here blows those away.

A movie faithful to this book could be in the same class as those greats mentioned above, as long as today's studios can't get their grubby, Politically Correct mitts on it. Maybe Castalia House should see about setting up their own studio or production company.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
toad

Post by toad »

I just finished the Kindle version of "Brings the Lightening" myself. The author is supposed to be planning some sequels to it.
I'm also waiting for the third book of his military science fiction series "War to the Knife."
evan price

Post by evan price »

Finished Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series.
Started Kelly Gay's Charlie Mardigan series.
In an urban fantasy kick.
Although I'm kind of fed up with the "gritty heroine trying to deal with being a single woman in a supernatural world, and thats why she treats all the other characters like shit and somehow they keep coming back for more."
At least Harry Dresden and the Iron Druid had a little confidence and respect for others.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
toad

Post by toad »

https://www.amazon.com/Help-God-Few-Mar ... s+WWI+wood

One of the things that I found interesting in this book is that the US Marines were regarded as a constabulary force in the late 19th early 20th century.
When first sent to France they acted as provosts for the rest of the US military.
A Brit was quoted prior to WW I, That the 3 best constabulary forces were the Canadian Mounties, The Pennsylvania State Troopers, and the US Marines. Apparently a constabulary force was a police force organized on military line
This could be the reason that there is such a Marine influence in a lot of US police forces.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I decided to read Footfall again last night. I'd given my old copy to my daughter, so a while back she got me another copy at a used book store. She wrote a nice inscription inside the cover.

I was paging through the front pages, and the title page appears to be signed by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Don't know if it's real, but it would be cool if it were. I'll have to google their signatures and see if they look right.

ETA: Pics so you know it happened. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Weetabix on Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D