It don't mean nothin' drive on

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Odahi

Re: It don't mean nothin' drive on

Post by Odahi »

Just a couple thoughts from an old drunk, now a recovering alcoholic. It's not about the booze, it's about what the booze "helps" you with. Yeah, with help like that, I wound up homeless more than once, married to another drunk, broke, and ashamed of myself and my life. Even if you're not an alcoholic, AA has some good insights. The Twelve Steps were a good start to clearing the shit out of my life, and my sponsor was the first true friend I'd had in years. I think of it this way: I made the best decisions I could, at the time, with the information I had, in the situation I was in. Maybe they turned out to be "sub-optimal," but they were the best I could do at the time. So, now the situation is different, I have better information, and I can process it better after being sober for a while, but hell, I still make mistakes. I try to learn from them and not make the same ones again, but I'm still human, and a man, and sometimes the little head does the thinking. It does get better. I went from a homeless drunk to a recovering alcoholic, with a wife I love who loves me back (I'm still not sure why), and a great, amazing job I could never have imagined I could do. Yeah, sometimes life is still shitty, but it doesn't last. I keep going, and eventually I get out the other side. This is probably a bunch of rambling bullshit, but what I'm trying to say is, you have friends. You have options. Drive on, eventually you'll get to a better place.
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
Termite

Post by Termite »

Vonz90 wrote:Random suggestion, spend some time in a good Christ centered Christian church. If you grew up in one that may be a good choice or if like me you were raised un-churched, I would suggest Lutheran.

Don't worry about how you dress or whatever. If they are Christ centered, it won't matter.
I will leave this link but obviously I have never set foot in a church in Briton so ????
http://lutheran.co.uk
Here's the meat:
I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.

And in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit
and born of the virgin Mary.
He suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried.

The third day he rose again from the dead.
He ascended to heaven
and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty.
From there he will come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy Christian church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting.

Amen.
If any Christian church governing body, that you visit, will not ascribe to this, turn and walk away.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

Sorry, I don't have any time for the Christian religion any longer.
But don't think badly of me.
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Highspeed wrote:Sorry, I don't have any time for the Christian religion any longer.
As I alluded to in my earlier post, I was atheist for the first half of my life. Why would I think less of you for doing something that I used to as well.

I would still encourage you to poke around a bit. People screw it up, because that is what people do, but don't hold that against the religion. The whole point of it is that we are all screwed up and God is giving us a pass; and that is good to know.
Termite

Post by Termite »

Highspeed wrote:Sorry, I don't have any time for the Christian religion any longer.
I'll try not to. ;)

Question: Are you an ATHEIST!!...; or just non-theistic?
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Once upon a time, I was showing a lady co-worker some pictures of my newest granddaughter. She looked at the picture for a moment, and said "Well, I sure know where she got that grin!"

I laughed, and pointed out that she couldn't have gotten it from me, since I wasn't actually related to her.

Cheryl just laughed, and said, "Aw, honey, it ain't in the blood, it's in the heart!!!"

And that's what it comes down to. What's in the heart.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

First Shirt wrote:Once upon a time, I was showing a lady co-worker some pictures of my newest granddaughter. She looked at the picture for a moment, and said "Well, I sure know where she got that grin!"

I laughed, and pointed out that she couldn't have gotten it from me, since I wasn't actually related to her.

Cheryl just laughed, and said, "Aw, honey, it ain't in the blood, it's in the heart!!!"

And that's what it comes down to. What's in the heart.
This.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

Well I got an update. I tried to book into an alcohol treatment program and while I got accepted the NHS are fucking useless. You have to fill a million forms in, most of which contain really stupid questions, and I am still waiting to get assigned what they call a " key worker " in my area.
And then I'll have to wait god knows how long to see him or her.

So a week ago I said " Fuck it, I'm doing this myself " - I have been trailing my drinking off and it's been the most difficult thing I have done. I have been drinking just enough to keep the withdrawal symptoms from really making me ill and have felt terrible, all the time. At times I was shaking so badly I couldn't even type when chatting with that friend I mentioned who is a girl. Who, by the way I have told everything to, and she's been supporting me unconditionally.
But recently I finally saw some results. I still can't sleep and I feel like someone took a baseball bat to me, but from drinking a large bottle of vodka a day I am down to a standard bottle of wine instead.
I haven't had a drink today at all yet. I probably will have some wine later, but it's not a foregone conclusion.
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
randy

Post by randy »

Hang in there man. Kick it's ass!
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Excellent work, HS. Carry on!
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D