Traveling to Md

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
pbnuc

Traveling to Md

Post by pbnuc »

Hi Guys. I will be making a family visit trip - a loop from northwest Florida up thru West-by-God Virginia , Maryland and home thru Carolina. The trouble is the stop and overnight stay in MD to visit my brothers. Checking Maryland carry laws it- it seems that I cant even have handgun in car unless going to directly to range , gunsmith and few other places. So the question is .... Does the federal transportation of firearms law cover overnight hotel stays with in a state? Any advice?( Have Ga carry permit.)
randy

Re: Traveling to Md

Post by randy »

You might check out Handgunlaw.us

According to that site:
Notice: Maryland has a unit called, “Maryland Coordination and Analysis Center.” They have license plate reader cameras around the state that read license plates of vehicles. Some are connected to Criminal Background Check programs and Permit/License Holder lists from the different states that will supply them with that information. Do use caution when even driving through Maryland. They can know if you have a firearms permit/license without even stopping you.
Your GA permit doesn't mean squat there and might even attract attention.

They also state: (With a link to the MD State Police page)
Yes, under Title 18, Section 926A, of the United States Code, a person who is not prohibited from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment. In the case the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked compartment other than the glove compartment or console.
LE attitudes will differ depending if you are in the Western part of the state or along the coastal areas such as around Baltimore Hon.

Me personally, I'd get a new set of relatives ;) . I didn't leave anything behind when I escaped there 20 years ago and nothing could ever entice me to go back.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
pbnuc

Post by pbnuc »

Yeah, I left in '88 and have not missed it. Two brothers stayed . I found above info but nothing on how the federal law applies. Does a hotel count as a residence (as in going to and from for state law) or does federal law cover overnight stop in state? May have to go w/o firearm. Hmmmm, long guns might be treated differently.
pbnuc

Post by pbnuc »

I guess the issue is whether or not an overnight stay is covered under title 18. I have read that it only covers gas stops and that any other could trap you under Md state transporting laws. Any answers?
evan price

Post by evan price »

FOPA only applies if the trip does not involve a stop. For example gas, lunch, etc. is not generally an issue. Spending the night IS an issue because that breaks it into two trips. Long stops or visits may also break fopa.
There are many armed travellers who have been forced to interrupt air travel for weather reasons, and been stranded in New York's JFK airport, only to be arrested the next morning when they tried to resume the trip by legally declaring their firearms in checked luggage.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

Unload the gun, put gun in trunk. You'll be OK. The law is not as clearly worded as it should be, but the interpretation that has always been applied is that it's legal to transport an unloaded firearm in a locked container. If you really feel paranoid, throw a couple of targets in on top.