Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Weetabix

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Weetabix »

Vonz90 wrote:John Locke's Second Treaties on Government.
It's about time for me to read that one, I think.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
evan price

Post by evan price »

Read a couple of Cherie Priest books about Lizzie Borden VS Cthulhu type monsters. Very Lovecraft. Worth a look.

Just started and finished the first of the "Iron Druid" books by Kevin Hearne. He piles on the Tuahtha De Danann lore pretty thickly... but then I guess that IS what the series is about, eh wot?
The first one started a bit slow but then I recall the first MHI book started slowly too. If it matters I already have #2 & #3 on the table so it's turning out to be pretty good...but no Jim Butcher. Yet.

At least so far it easily beats out the David Coe "Justiss Fearson" series- which wouldn't be hard to do for anyone with talent.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

I've just started 'Darkship Thieves' by Sarah Hoyt. No opinion so far.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Reread Ringo's Hymn Before Battle this weekend. Now I'm in Gust Front.

Both as good as I remembered, but I find myself a little more impatient for the story to continue ILO Clancy-like description.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Just finished Marko Kloos's Chains of Command. Pacing excellent, action very good, characterization good as always, but "curt/curtly" needs a vacation. :)
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Greg

Post by Greg »

Reading Thomas Sowell's Intellectuals and Society.

Waiting to get to the part that isn't 'yeah that's obvious'. As always, articulate, well-researched, and not enough people are paying attention.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

I stopped at Half-Price books today (first time in a while; the books are not half price; they charge through the nose of used books and pay a pittance for them), but I found Triplanetary, by E.E. "Doc" Smith, the prequel to the Lensman series. My copy of that one had fallen apart and even the tape holding it together had aged and fallen off with use... I love these books!

So tonight I'm taking a break and rereading Triplanetary and more than likely starting a new cycle through the entire Lensman and Skylark series.

By Klono's tungsten teeth and curving carballoy claws I will not be deterred!
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Rich Jordan wrote:By Klono's tungsten teeth and curving carballoy claws I will not be deterred!
QX, ace. Enjoy 'em with a 22-ounce Delmonico and some Venusian superla mushrooms. :)
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
toad

Post by toad »

308Mike wrote:I just finished reading: "The Secret Corps" - and it's a book which might scare the shiite out of you if you've been paying attention to what's going on around the nation (for former Marines, no explanation is necessary):

http://www.amazon.com/The-Secret-Corps- ... 1511775793

Well I've downloaded it as a kindle book. I almost hesitate to start it as I've found the military science fiction that incorporates the current affairs to be something of downer at times, and sometime makes me want to put on the special vest and take a road trip. However since the characters are US Marines I can expect a certain amount of humor inadvertent and other wise since the old saying is, " You can always tell a Marine but you just can't tell him much." :twisted:
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Just finished Greyfriars Bobby which was a free Kindle download. Damn, it's dusty in here!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom