Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Weetabix

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Weetabix »

The Book of Judges in the Old Testament. Kind of dry.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
John_in_Longview

Post by John_in_Longview »

Weetabix wrote:The Book of Judges in the Old Testament. Kind of dry.
I am leading my small group at church through a study of Judges. Timothy Keller's Judges For You is a good entry level commentary to the book.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Just finished No Going Back, the latest Jon & Lobo book from Mark Van Name. Good story, and very satisfying and necessary character development.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Burned through Kratman's Countdown series recently, on to Hard Magic by Correia... I'm not usually into magic type stuff, but I figured coming from Larry it wasn't going to suck, at least. About halfway into it and I have not been disappointed so far.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

The Wind in the Willows. Sometimes you need to take a break, and return to the classics.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Came across something that made me think of a short story I couldn't remember the name of.....

Turns out it's Eric Frank Russell's 'Minor Ingredient'.

Reread that and several other gems I came across in my fiction anthologies while I was searching.

Like Randall Garrett's 'The Highest Treason', Poul Anderson's 'Cold Victory' and 'No Truce With Kings' and Tom Godwin's 'Too Soon to Die'.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Unintended Consequences by John Ross. I'd forgotten what a good read it is. I'm still in the buildup part - I think Henry's on safari.
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

Jack Reacher #10, "The Hard Way".
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

John Locke's Second Treaties on Government.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

TheArmsman wrote:
308Mike wrote:I just finished reading: "The Secret Corps" - and it's a book which might scare the shiite out of you if you've been paying attention to what's going on around the nation (for former Marines, no explanation is necessary):

http://www.amazon.com/The-Secret-Corps- ... 1511775793

Just bought this and started reading it. Thanks for the recommendation. It is rare that an author gets things right in The Corps.
Have you finished the book yet? The ending is quite the twist from what you may have expected. I've re-read the last several chapters many times now, and still find them interesting.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad