Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Denis

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Denis »

308Mike wrote:
Denis wrote:
308Mike wrote:If you like books in that vein...
Have a look at these threads here too:

SeekHer's sniper book list

Suarez on the guerilla sniper and again
THANKS Denis (I needed a refresh)!!
My pleasure - which pales into insignificance at the pleasure of seeing you back online and hearing you're on the mend!
Greg

Post by Greg »

Recently read a decent illustrated history of US destroyers in WW2, and also a title in the West Point military history series about the Pacific War (that one was very good).

Currently rereading Friedman's US Destroyer design history.

The interrelations between org charts (and the internal politics they embody), doctrine and design are fascinating... not even to mention (national) politics and strategy.

We're really screwed in an outhouse. We were so much better off in the 30's, wiser, more realistic, better able to understand and adapt to the circumstances of a changing world. Our military procurement process was far superior then, too. (If any of that sounds like sarcasm, well I *wish* it was.)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Greg, I wish you were wrong, but I KNOW you're not - and it's scary.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Denis, thanks for the welcome back!!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

I've been re-reading Kratman's Legion del Cid series. I may be spending too much time there, though. When I watched a YouTube video of a flashmob doing 'Ode to Joy', I started singing 'F$ck the filthy Tauran Union' instead. :oops:

Note: lyrics are at the end of 'Come and Take Them'.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

A Short History of World War I by James L. Stokesbury.

Because you never know when one of our elected officials will turn out to be an inbred Austrian archduke.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

SoupOrMan wrote:A Short History of World War I by James L. Stokesbury.

Because you never know when one of our elected officials will turn out to be an inbred Austrian archduke.
The more I read about WWI the more it becomes like watching a horror movie. "No Prime Minister don't [strike]split up and investigate the basement alone[/strike] sacrifice your empire and millions of lives for Belgian neutrality."

Side Note: Despite the wars horrors and what it wrought upon the world all through the 20th century it is inaccurate to say that no one won WWI. It is quite clear that the one and only winner was the United States.
Denis

Post by Denis »

308Mike wrote:Denis, thanks for the welcome back!!
You're welcome (back) :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

Kommander wrote:
SoupOrMan wrote:A Short History of World War I by James L. Stokesbury.

The more I read about WWI the more it becomes like watching a horror movie. "No Prime Minister don't [strike]split up and investigate the basement alone[/strike] sacrifice your empire and millions of lives for Belgian neutrality."

Side Note: Despite the wars horrors and what it wrought upon the world all through the 20th century it is inaccurate to say that no one won WWI. It is quite clear that the one and only winner was the United States.
Japan made out VERY well indeed, which came back to bite everyone in the ass in several different ways.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

308Mike wrote:I just finished reading: "The Secret Corps" - and it's a book which might scare the shiite out of you if you've been paying attention to what's going on around the nation (for former Marines, no explanation is necessary):

http://www.amazon.com/The-Secret-Corps- ... 1511775793

Just bought this and started reading it. Thanks for the recommendation. It is rare that an author gets things right in The Corps.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.