Business idea-critique, advice, and thoughts welcome/desired-I'm updated!

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
HTRN

Re: Business idea-critique, advice, and thoughts welcome/desired

Post by HTRN »

Have you thought about using a powerful box as a mailing address?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

HTRN wrote:Have you thought about using a powerful box as a mailing address?
Not sure what a powerful box is, but the ATF does require a physical premises.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Fucking autocorrect. :oops:

PO box.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

JAG2955 wrote:
How about a shared office space rental?
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Vonz90 wrote:
JAG2955 wrote:
How about a shared office space rental?
I could, it's just that it won't add much, if anything to my idea. I'd also have to pay for it, which is funding that I don't have right now. I'd really prefer to keep this as simple as possible, and able to move at a moment's notice, what with the wife's job and all.
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Why do you need an FFL?

Start an LLC (or a corporation, not sure which would be a better choice in this case), have the LLC purchase the insurance and the firearms for business use (rental). Unless you're going into the business of selling said clients firearms, I see absolutely no reason to involve the ATF.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

JustinR wrote:Why do you need an FFL?

Start an LLC (or a corporation, not sure which would be a better choice in this case), have the LLC purchase the insurance and the firearms for business use (rental). Unless you're going into the business of selling said clients firearms, I see absolutely no reason to involve the ATF.
I'm likely going to do all of that anyways. The cool thing is, NRA Instructor insurance is really cheap, but it's only for one person. I personally think that the FFL would make doing lots of stuff easier. No additional markup, no next day air for returns/repairs, dealer discounts, easier to sell obsolete and worn out stock, etc. If I pay SOT, I can get silencers which I think REALLY make teaching recoil-adverse novices a lot easier. Also SBRs, which makes it easier to learn proper rifle technique for people with limited arm strength.

As far as purchasing through the LLC, I'm certain that some shops will know what to do. Unfortunately, I bet that it's about the same number as know how and are willing to transfer a C&R firearm to a C&R holder (I've only ever met one who was willing to do it, and it turned out that the manufacture date made it ineligible.)

Of course, if I can turn around and sell someone a firearm after teaching them on it, then that's just all the better. :)
JAG2955

Re: Business idea-critique, advice, and thoughts welcome/desired-I'm updated!

Post by JAG2955 »

Well, here's the news. The people in the neighborhood decided that we still don't want to have home-based businesses.

Whatever. Fuck em. Sideways, with a rusty, AIDS infected cactus. Never again. Bunch of damn hypocrites who lack integrity and allow a lawyer who doesn't live here to write and approve the regs which are enforced by a management company who also doesn't live here. And they all get paid, no matter the state of the neighborhood.

But here's some other interesting news. So my wife, as part of the Really Big Company, was given charge of Really Big Company's gun club. The previous guy was an idiot who retired, so she took over, and actually started setting up classes and stuff.

One of her classes was supposed to be a beginning women-only shooting class. I tagged along, just in case one of the shooters was someone in a hiring position. It wound up being the day after the legendary 500-yr flood here in Houston. So, since most folks were ripping out the carpet and meeting insurance adjusters, only one young woman showed up. I was shooting the bull with the director of training for the gun shop that the club had partnered with. He asked me if I wanted a job. I said "sure."

He went and talked to the manager of the store we were at. This shop has a few locations. I talked with the manager, and wound up having an interview with him a week later, and then with the shop's director of operations two weeks after that.

My interview with the director of operations went fantastically. Apparently I was the only former military guy to say "Let's train soccer moms, men's church choirs, and kids who learned about guns from video games", instead of "Let's do transition drills, shoulder rolls, and CQB-type shit!" He proceeds to tell me that the director of training is retiring sometime late this year/early next. Then he suggests that I'd be a good candidate for that job due to my experiences.

"Of course, we'll have to get you some civilian credentials."
"No problem, already NRA Basic Pistol Instructor and RSO certified."

"Oh, well, you'll need to be a CHL instructor, too. That takes forever to get done."
"I signed up for it in January." Then I had the email about class dates when I got home, for which I immediately signed up, then emailed the director, telling him that I did.

We spent about an hour and twenty minutes total in the interview, where I went over things I had experience with, like training SOPs, Master Lesson Files, and Training and Readiness Tasks. Then I also wowed him with my logistics knowledge, after I asked if they were stacking stripped lowers and BCGs in anticipation of the election.

So yeah. Looks like I'm going to be doing some training and training management for a decent-sized gunshop/ranges here.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Congrats!
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
randy

Post by randy »

Cool!
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".