Cancer Round Two

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Rumpshot

Cancer Round Two

Post by Rumpshot »

Well we saw the Radiation Oncology Dr. yesterday. He concurs with the Cancer board recommendation that radiation treatment is necessary.

I will begin treatments within 2-4 weeks. I will have daily treatments Monday thru Friday for six weeks. I have applied for housing at the Mayo Clinic Campus in the American Cancer Society facilities. These facilities often have a waiting list during this time of year, but I am ever optimistic.

Potential side effects of the proposed radiation include: the likelyhood that I will need daily fluoride treatments for my teeth, subdued saliva gland production, potential swallowing issues, and radiation burns to my neck area.

The good news, last year I would have been subjected to treatment to both sides of my neck area, this time just one side. Also the expectation is that with the radiation treatment, I should be “cured” of this cancer.

Like most illnesses, the timing on this is really inconvenient. However we will forge ahead and get this period behind us and beat this cancer.
Well wishes, thoughts and prayers are appreciated. Financially and physically we are in good condition to weather this storm. During the treatment period, we may need some assistance with driving and/or minding my dog.

Being the new kid on the (cancer) block, I am ever optimistic that I can beat this. I know many of you have been through a similar trying time and have won the battle. I find the travel, appointments, and waiting to be more difficult than the treatments and surgery to date. That said, I am not looking forward to the radiation treatment.

More news as it happens. :)
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Rumpshot

Re: Cancer Round Two

Post by Rumpshot »

Today I got 4 calls from Mayo Clinic in Phoenix.

Medical Oncologist appointment tomorrow.

Schedule PET Scan for Friday.

Pharmacy to once more review my medication list.

Radiation Oncologist office to tell me about upcoming appointments.

Can I get frequent flyer miles for commuting to Phoenix and back for medical appointments?
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Good luck, Rumpshot! :)
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Prayers sent.

Kick its ass.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Kick it right in the 'nads, Rumpshot!
randy

Post by randy »

What the others said. Kick it in the ass and then stomp it's g'nads when you have it on the ground.

Unfortunately, we're a little far away for Darlin' Daughter to provide a puppy pillow.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

Best wishes.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
Dinochrome One

Post by Dinochrome One »

We're pullin' for you, Shipmate! Both me and Little Sister have danced with cancer, and the medicine men are doing good work these days. Best wishes for the cure!
Maxim 34: If you're only leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Weetabix wrote:Prayers sent.

Kick its ass.
+1
Denis

Post by Denis »

I'd love to walk the dog, but the poor animal would have to swim a long way here first!

Best wishes for your travel, appointments and the treatment. I am sure your positive attitude will stand to you. Kick ass and be well!