The Martian

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
McClarkus

Re: The Martian

Post by McClarkus »

Yes, Gravity sucked worse than a black hole.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
toad

Post by toad »

Mea Culpa:
Back in the day, I commented to a co-worker. "I feel kind of guilty, I've been watching "Voyager" for a month and it took me that long to notice Jeri Ryan could act." , "Don't feel bad, it took me that long to realize she had a face." :mrgreen:
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Yeah one his comments (accuracy howls) was about the Sandra Bullock scanties... They wear full body long john type stuff under those suits.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Yeah, but ever since Sigourney Weaver climbed into that vacc suit in Alien, it's kind of a tradition. :twisted:
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

So the fucktards at the Hollywood Foreign Press Association gave the Golden Globe to The Martian...for Best Comedy.
(cf. "1000 Reasons Why The Golden Globes Are Utterly Meaningless")

Holy WTF, Batman! :?

I can't figure out if it's because
a) they're so English-illiterate that they don't WTF the word "comedy" means;
b) they were in stitches at the concept of Matt Damon being an astronaut/botanist/survival supergenius sciencing the shit out of everything, or
c) they couldn't keep a straight face when presented with the need for suspension of disbelief at the idea of NASA getting a manned mission to Mars any time in this lifetime
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Aesop wrote:So the fucktards at the Hollywood Foreign Press Association gave the Golden Globe to The Martian...for Best Comedy.
(cf. "1000 Reasons Why The Golden Globes Are Utterly Meaningless")

Holy WTF, Batman! :?

I can't figure out if it's because
a) they're so English-illiterate that they don't WTF the word "comedy" means;
b) they were in stitches at the concept of Matt Damon being an astronaut/botanist/survival supergenius sciencing the shit out of everything, or
c) they couldn't keep a straight face when presented with the need for suspension of disbelief at the idea of NASA getting a manned mission to Mars any time in this lifetime
I actually wondered if they meant "Comedy" in the original, Greek sense, meaning the opposite of "Tragedy". i.e. a work where the protagonist survives. Laughter not required.

Either that, or they're just a bunch of Hollywood assholes who care more about making sure certain films, and actors, get awards than whether the film/actor fits the category for which they're nominated.

They could just as well have nominated it for best animated film, since there's at LEAST as much computer generated graphics (meaning ANIMATION) in The Martian as in Toy Story, Shrek, or (insert whatever cartoon film you wish).
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

When the nominations came out, it was nominated in the "Comedy and/or Musical" category. It did have all that disco....
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
randy

Post by randy »

Must have been the same loser judges that gave the first ever Heavy Metal Grammy to Jethro Tull, the year that Metallica's Black album was released.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I finally saw it last night. It was great.

And there were a lot of funny lines in there.

"I'm a space pirate."
Captain Blondbeard?
"Fuck you, Mars."
"I don't want to come off as arrogant here, but I'm the greatest botanist on this planet."
"I admit it's fatally dangerous, but I'd get to fly around like Iron Man."
"If we are going to have a secret project called "Elrond", then I want my code name to be "Glorfindel". " (I really wanted Sean Bean to say, "I'll be Boromir!")
"Mars will come to fear my botany powers."
"Alright, let me get a few things out of the way, right off the bat. Yes, I did in fact survive on a deserted planet by farming in my own shit. Yes, it's actually worse than it sound. So, let's not talk about that ever again." (I always thought you had to compost your shit a bit before it was safe to grow food in.)
"Oh, my God, Johannsen!" (When opening Johannsen's waste.)
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Weetabix wrote:I finally saw it last night. It was great.
I never lie about this stuff.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"