Is Luke The Bad Guy?

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
dfwmtx

Re: Is Luke The Bad Guy?

Post by dfwmtx »

OK, so which is the bigger reboot rape of your childhood memories: Star Trek or Star Wars?
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

dfwmtx wrote:OK, so which is the bigger reboot rape of your childhood memories: Star Trek or Star Wars?
Here's the thing: Jar-Jar Abrams biggest sin is the fact that he can't write an original f-ing script. I think he's confused the word "reboot" with "plagiarism." Once I realized that he was totally ripping off Wrath of Kahn, badly, I stopped enjoying the movie and was pulled out of the storytelling. The same thing happened with The Force Awakens. Once I realized he was totally ripping off A New Hope, very badly, I stopped enjoying it and just thought, "YHGTBFKM, ANOTHER Death Star???"

In addition, Jar-Jar left out some of the most important storytelling of the movie, details that I think would have left a far better impression of the movie in my mind:

http://www.vox.com/2015/12/21/10634568/ ... irst-order
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Mike OTDP wrote:
toad wrote:For some fight scenes see the 1973 version of the "Three Musketeers." Look especially for the fight scene on frozen water and ground. A person that I knew who had studied Medieval and Renaissance fighting while in college said the movie had the most realistic fight scenes.
Yup. This and "The Four Musketeers" have the best rapier work ever filmed.
I found these two movies used on Amazon and ordered them. 105 minutes and 108 minutes.

Cue up popcorn and a tired butt for this weekend. :lol:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Dear heavens, you haven't seen these two cinematic epics??

Lay in a stock of snacks and beverages, and watch them TNT-style: beginning to end, repeated over and over!
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
George guy

Post by George guy »

The biggest stupid in the film, IMO, was:

[spoiler]The good guys being able to get Starkiller Base's shields shut down just by holding Captain Gold Stormtrooper Lady at gunpoint.

Seriously. The First Order's ultimate weapon (so far) can have its defenses taken down by one person logging in and hitting a few buttons under duress.

You would think at the very least, it would require some sort of two-simultaneous-keys deal.[/spoiler]
'Regulate' used to mean the opposite of 'constipate.'
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

I have avoided this thread, not wanting to spoil the movie or go into it with any preconceptions, and have to say that I agree with much of what had been written here. It's a competently made movie that fails to do anything interesting or original with the star wars premise. I actually think they would have been better off if they had gone the Old Republic route and just done a totally original story with totally original characters.

While were on the subject of lack of originality did anyone else think that Kilo whatshis face (never a good sign when I cant remember the main bad guys name an hour after the movie) costume looks extremely similar to Revans from KOTOR? I don't know if this is a coincidence (I doubt it), a reference from KOTOR, or Abrams lifting old ideas because hes got no new ideas for the bad guys look.

[spoiler]Lastly I think that Kylo Revan needs to get his money back from whoever thought him light saber combat as he got his ass kicked by someone who had never used one before.[/spoiler]
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

yeah well, maybe not so bad if she turns out to be Obi Wan's grand daughter or something.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Jered

Post by Jered »

Kommander wrote: While were on the subject of lack of originality did anyone else think that Kilo whatshis face (never a good sign when I cant remember the main bad guys name an hour after the movie) costume looks extremely similar to Revans from KOTOR? I don't know if this is a coincidence (I doubt it), a reference from KOTOR, or Abrams lifting old ideas because hes got no new ideas for the bad guys look.
Wait...wasn't Revan the good guy after a heel face turn?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Devil's advocate here-
Once I realized that he was totally ripping off Wrath of Kahn
I interpreted this in a Doctor Who, fixed point of time way. No matter the reboot, there was ALWAYS going to be someone getting irradiated in that chamber and someone yelling "KHANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN." The rebooting may have changed who, exactly, did what, but the events will still be present and relevant.
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

blackeagle603 wrote:yeah well, maybe not so bad if she turns out to be Obi Wan's grand daughter or something.
Close, I'm betting she's Luke daughter.

How I suspect opening of Ep.8 will go....

Luke: Rey, I am your father!"
Rey: why the hell did you leave me on that desert planet for years?!
L: hey, it happened to me when I was a kid! And look how I turned out.
R: What? A lonely old Jedi with a high midichlorian count and father-abandonment issues?
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia