Is Luke The Bad Guy?

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Jericho941

Re: Is Luke The Bad Guy?

Post by Jericho941 »

I'm withholding judgement until I can actually see it, but Abrams cannot film close combat to save his life, and giving him control of a franchise that features friggin' laser sword fights as one of its most distinctive features is kinda stupid.
George guy

Post by George guy »

Jericho941 wrote:I'm withholding judgement until I can actually see it, but Abrams cannot film close combat to save his life, and giving him control of a franchise that features friggin' laser sword fights as one of its most distinctive features is kinda stupid.
By that logic, maybe they should have gone with Gore Verbinski (Pirates of the Caribbean).
'Regulate' used to mean the opposite of 'constipate.'
toad

Post by toad »

For some fight scenes see the 1973 version of the "Three Musketeers." Look especially for the fight scene on frozen water and ground. A person that I knew who had studied Medieval and Renaissance fighting while in college said the movie had the most realistic fight scenes.
Oliver Reed got to do some really wild stuff with his sword in that movie. I wanted to do some wild stuff with Raquel Welch.
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

Ok, before I saw the movie it was merely an annoyance, but after I've seen the movie it's starting to be a bane to existence. I'm getting sick of all the non-associated product advertising for Star Wars going on. Why the fuck does a car commercial need to have a Star Wars tie-in? Fast food, I get. Toys, I get. But there are no cars, trucks, or SUVs in Star Wars, so YTF does this have to be? All this makes me want to shove a light-saber up the waste chutes of several advertising folks, from executive level on down.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
toad

Post by toad »

I think I smell a whiff of fear and desperation from Hollywood as money from movie production drops. So they may be milking associated products to squeeze every possible coin before it gets hard to get financing to make a movie.
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

toad wrote:For some fight scenes see the 1973 version of the "Three Musketeers." Look especially for the fight scene on frozen water and ground. A person that I knew who had studied Medieval and Renaissance fighting while in college said the movie had the most realistic fight scenes.
Yup. This and "The Four Musketeers" have the best rapier work ever filmed.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Fight director for The Three Musketeers is a gent named William Hobbs. Also The Four Musketeers, Robin and Marian, The Duellists, Excalibur, Brazil, and The Crimson Permanent Assurance :) , among others.

I have to agree that the fight choreography in The Three Musketeers/Four Musketeers is as good as it gets, but I also remain very fond of the more "stagy" fights in the Jose Ferrer version of Cyrano de Bergerac and the Tony Curtis/Ross Martin duel in The Great Race.

Incidentally, Hobbs did the fight directing for the 1990 version of Cyrano, but Gerard Depardieu is a shambling oaf and Anthony Burgess's translation is inferior anyway.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

William Hobbs is a swordmastery god. Period. (And yes, The Three/Four Musketeers is his opus; they were shot as one movie, split by the producers into two movies.)

As for the flick...meh. I give it a 6 on a 10 pt. scale.
All the moments from IV, and all the tease with no payoff from V.
Also entirely too weak to stand on its own, and barely in the Top 5 of the seven movies so far.
And Lucas still has his $6B.

Worse, it just makes it screamingly obvious that the movies you wanted more were: what happened between III and IV, and now, what happened between VI and VII. (And what happened between The Last Crusade and The Temple of the Crystal WTF? while we're at it.)

They should have given this to Peter Jackson. (Still the only guy in all Hollywood history to make three good and successful movies in the same franchise, evah. Even Coppola couldn't do that with Godfather.)
Abrams is a one-hit wonder, and if this is his best, take the next one away from him before he Sam Mendes' the next one in his underpants, or pulls out another Beyond Darkness utterly shitastic snake-eating-its-tail fucked up remake.

There is a gleaming plus here:
Seth Green and the crew at Robot Chicken will have work off of this one for years. :lol:

And holy crypt-keeper, the worst face in the movie wasn't the villain, it was this one:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Yeah, well you guys clearly have too high expectations. I kept 'em low and enjoyed it with dear wife and a couple of the daughters. The Village Theater in Coronado is an excellent venue. Excellent Art Deco restoration/with updates, good seats, loads of legroom.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

It's been ten years.
They had one job... :roll:
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"