Thanksgiving Movie Watching

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
skb12172

Thanksgiving Movie Watching

Post by skb12172 »

With a rare 4 days off, I was thinking of catching a couple of new movies. Has anyone seen Creed or The Night Before yet? Those look like the two most likely candidates of the current offerings. Based on advice here, I'm waiting for the latest Bond to hit Redbox.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Steamforger

Re: Thanksgiving Movie Watching

Post by Steamforger »

I did note that Itunes had John Wick in HD for $4.99. I picked it and Predator up.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

skb12172 wrote: Based on advice here, I'm waiting for the latest Bond to hit Redbox.
Too soon.

Wait for it to hit the Salvation Army, or Goodwill.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

"The Man with the Iron Fists 2" - I never got the TL;DR version of why African-Americans have a fascination with Asian culture and martial arts. This sequel is just proof that Russell Crowe carried the first movie. RZA fails as a rap master, now wants to master kung-fu. Ain't nowhere near as awesome as the dude who shared the screen with Bruce Lee in "Enter the Dragon".

"Trainwreck" - Amy Schumer, LeBron James, some other schmucks, and Matthew Broderick. A movie that fits the title. Seriously, why are there so many comedies out there that are less comedies and more like a gathering of one-liners around a dramatic storyline? Also seriously, LeBron does a good job. And Tilda, I know you need to pay the bills, but why....?

"The Good Dinosaur" - had no choice but to see it in 3D, which doesn't make the cartoon dinosaurs less cartoon-y, but sure makes the scenery look pretty. Plot holes, lots of jokes in making the human look/act like a dog.

"Victor Frankenstein" - fun little re-imaginging of the old story. Really put the "mad" back into mad scientist for me. I'm glad Daniel Radcliffe is still working.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
evan price

Post by evan price »

Whenever the premium channels are on free preview I record movies thinking I'll find time to watch them. Our DVR is roughly 50% full of unwatched movies. Skyfall was the best of the Daniel Craig Bond movies, and it wasn't that great..especially compared to classics like Goldfinger. Javier Bardem's character in No Country for Old Men was so much better, even with less dialogue.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I holed up in the basement (the mother in law was occupying my office) and watched Prometheus. I needed something gray and slow moving to counter the overstimulation of Thanksgiving. It was fine. Plus, Charlize Theron is pretty.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Weetabix wrote:I holed up in the basement (the mother in law was occupying my office) and watched Prometheus. I needed something gray and slow moving to counter the overstimulation of Thanksgiving. It was fine. Plus, Charlize Theron is pretty.
She is awfully easy on the eyes and essentially the ONLY reason to even watch the Italian Job remake. Other than that, the movie was overflowing with stupid in a form I normally associate with a backed up toilet.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Steamforger wrote:
Weetabix wrote:I holed up in the basement (the mother in law was occupying my office) and watched Prometheus. I needed something gray and slow moving to counter the overstimulation of Thanksgiving. It was fine. Plus, Charlize Theron is pretty.
She is awfully easy on the eyes and essentially the ONLY reason to even watch the Italian Job remake. Other than that, the movie was overflowing with stupid in a form I normally associate with a backed up toilet.
Italian Job or Prometheus? Prometheus, I was watching for the relaxation - no brain cells involved. :D

The Italian Job, I saw, but I can't say I really remember much of it.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Prometheus. Not taking weapons on the "scientific expedition", playing patty cake with the unknown lifeform, trying to bring the obviously sick crewmember back on the ship, etc. Those are the most obvious examples.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Oh, right. Now I remember!

Also, taking David along to search for the base to activate so it can go kill earth? With one small duffle bag of canned food? Writing off the life form blip as a glitch? Pulling their helmets off inside the pyramid while laughing? Keeping them off while knowing Charlie (?) is really sick? Not letting Vickers's robe fall open after she's undressed after doing her pushups?

So many mistakes.