Ye Olde Pistol Picture Thread

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Darrell

Re: Ye Olde Pistol Picture Thread

Post by Darrell »

Heck, I'll play:

S&W Model 19-3:
SW19-3 030sm.jpg
SW19-3 033sm.jpg
I've posted about the gun before. Had to have some work done for light primer strikes, shoots like a dream now.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Darrel, AlaskaTRX has the near-twin of that revolver.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

Smith and Wesson Model 57

The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Moar shooty goodness.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

No handgun picture thread would be complete without the ubiquitous Smith and Wesson 66. This stanless handgun, for nearly two decades was the go-to law enforcement handgun all over the US. From the time it was introduced in 1970 until the wonder-nine period of the 1990s, it was almost the quintessential police revolver. I carrid this one for almost two decades.

It's been retired after honorable service, but it still bucks and pops when we get out the revolvers on a Sunday afternoon for some real shooting. Below, my daughter is trying it on.

Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Just a plain old Glock 23 4th gen with Trijicon night sights I installed and a Storm Lake barrel. Nothing to see here, move along.
IMG_0864.JPG
Oh, and when you install sights yourself, it's always good to test things before you use them for social work, like anything else. I followed the YouTube (professional gunsmith's) advice and didn't put so much Loctite on the front sight bolt that it would drip down when it got hot and seize the barrel to the slide (as he had done once.) But, after shooting the Osprey the first time and cleaning the weapon, I realized the bolt had backed out 1/8 of a turn or so, enough for it to be loose. It still took some effort to break it loose with the Glock front sight tool, and clean the threads of the remaining Loctite, but this time I used enough it won't come loose for a good while.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Finished the layaway on this a while back. 1992 Sig Sauer P220 .45 ACP. It pays to be a regular. $565. :mrgreen:
p220.jpg
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

JustinR wrote:Oh, and when you install sights yourself, it's always good to test things before you use them for social work, like anything else. I followed the YouTube (professional gunsmith's) advice and didn't put so much Loctite on the front sight bolt that it would drip down when it got hot and seize the barrel to the slide (as he had done once.) But, after shooting the Osprey the first time and cleaning the weapon, I realized the bolt had backed out 1/8 of a turn or so, enough for it to be loose. It still took some effort to break it loose with the Glock front sight tool, and clean the threads of the remaining Loctite, but this time I used enough it won't come loose for a good while.
Perhaps next time use Rocksett instead?
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

PawPaw wrote: I put one of those on layaway today. Mine is the blued, with the 7.5" barrel. I'll use it in the Shootist category.
I have a birthday coming up, with Christmas close behind. Yesterday, I got a text from my lady, "Go to the pawn shop and pick up your gun. I paid off the layaway." So, as instructed, I went to the pawn shop after work and filled out the 4473.

Got it home and started closely inspecting it. The action has obviously been worked by someone who knows what they were doing. The hammer comes back slick as butter and the trigger breaks with just a trace of creep and no appreciable over-travel. What really impressed me is the color in the case-hardening. It's vivid with blues and golds, much nicer than the standard factory job.

This morning, showing it to a coworker, he noticed a tiny stamped logo on the left side of the frame. I've done a Google search looking for the logo and have reason to believe that I've done very well on this revolver. Very well indeed. I've got an email in to the outfit that I believed worked the revolver and when I get a reply, I'll talk about it. Until then, it's speculation, but I'm 955 certain I know who did the job.

Another interesting note, there is a name engraved on the grip frame, in very fine script engraving. I've done a Google search for the name, with no result. Hopefully the outfit, when they respond will be able to tell me more about the provenance of this remarkable find.

One downer, though. My lady likes the revolver. Likes it a lot. It fits her hand and she's able to operate it due to the fine action work. She may be commissioning a long-gun holster even as I type this post. Just damn.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I have that problem with anything .357. I bring it in, say "Honey, look what I got!" and she says "Thank you, I didn't have one of those!"

So far, it's cost me two Security-Sixes and a Rossi Trapper. And that's not counting the mouse-gun .38 snubbies. I mean, really, how many 2-inch .38 Spcls does a grandma need?
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom