Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
evan price

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by evan price »

Started David Drake's "Leary" books.
So far slow and drab. Seems like a ripoff of a 17th century wooden ships & iron men type story retold as Sci-Fi.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

evan price wrote:Started David Drake's "Leary" books.
So far slow and drab. Seems like a ripoff of a 17th century wooden ships & iron men type story retold as Sci-Fi.
They get much better. And yes, Drake has stated that they are an homage to Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey / Maturin series. Also, he likes to work in plots from ancient history.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
evan price

Post by evan price »

Captain Wheelgun wrote:
They get much better. And yes, Drake has stated that they are an homage to Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey / Maturin series. Also, he likes to work in plots from ancient history.

That was exactly the vibe I was getting, the O'Brian books. When he got command of the seized ship I spontaneously thought ,"hmm, promoted to post-captain." Well, I finished the first & about to start the second.

g-man

Post by g-man »

Picked up a hard bound dead tree copy of Lone Survivor. I know, I know, should be required reading for .mil types. I hadn't gotten around to it yet. Haven't read any dead tree books in quite some time, it feels a bit weird, but also 'better'. Of course having gone almost completely digital means there aren't a couple of books stacked on my nightstand (nor is there a tower on my wife's side of the bed). That said, some things should really be printed.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
toad

Post by toad »

Captain Wheelgun wrote:
I enjoyed the linkage to incidents that happened in classical Rome. Also the character development, The existence of sociopaths in the military and those who just kill to keep their "mates" alive. Clinging to the 'Pride" you have in your ancestry even though they were total dicks for the most part. Honor and loyalty still have value. Drake collected stuff from Classical Greece, the problems the Royal Navy had in Napoleonic times, and there is just that vibe you get in the writing of one who has seen the elephant.

I don't endorse too often because my taste are pretty low brow. I need bubble gum for my mind.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

The Foundation Trilogy. I haven't read it in many years, so I thought I'd better refresh it since it's counted as a classic. Foundation and Empire is dragging sadly.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Weetabix wrote:The Foundation Trilogy. I haven't read it in many years, so I thought I'd better refresh it since it's counted as a classic. Foundation and Empire is dragging sadly.
I can't read Asimov. Too boring and too full of himself.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I haven't noticed the "full of himself" yet. I figure I'll work my way through it. Foundation was interesting enough. I'm hoping that Second Foundation will redeem the trilogy.
evan price

Post by evan price »

Weetabix wrote:The Foundation Trilogy. I haven't read it in many years, so I thought I'd better refresh it since it's counted as a classic. Foundation and Empire is dragging sadly.
I've tried to read this for roughly 25 years. I have it in omnibus trade paperback. I get so far then I just can't stand it anymore and put it away. I think I got halfway through the second book and that's the farthest I've gotten.

Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

evan price wrote:
I've tried to read this for roughly 25 years. I have it in omnibus trade paperback. I get so far then I just can't stand it anymore and put it away. I think I got halfway through the second book and that's the farthest I've gotten.
That's where I stalled, but I persevered and finished the second last night. If the third goes the same way, I may not make it through.