Is Luke The Bad Guy?

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Langenator

Re: Is Luke The Bad Guy?

Post by Langenator »

I seem to recall Obi Wan Kenobi being a general in the Clone Wars.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Greg

Post by Greg »

Jericho941 wrote:
Kommander wrote:Fun Fact: Since the Jedi are not part of any formal military command structure they are unlawful combatants. On the other hand the Sith, when they had their empire, integrated their force users into the command structure, therefore making them legitimate and legal combatants.
...according to the current LOAC established on a backwater planet in a galaxy far, far away. :P

Still, though, that's a bit of a stretch. With a Sith government it's more like a military dictatorship. The Jedi had some nebulous role in Republic military hierarchy, but they still had one, even if it seems to be making a general out of anyone holding a light saber.
The Jedi were integrated with the Republic government so thoroughly they were relied on as high-level go-to guys in multiple branches of service:

-Foreign Service, as diplomatic envoys
-Secret Service, as VIP protection
-intelligence service, as field assets gathering intelligence
-military service, as leadership cadre *and* commandos, on land, air, sea and space
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
John_in_Longview

Post by John_in_Longview »

Darrell wrote:Will Luke Skywalker be revealed to be the Vaderesque head bad guy in the latest SW installment?
My personal theory is that the bad guy is a clone of either Luke or Leia.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Ah, like the clone Luuke, in Heir To The Empire.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

The bad guy is Darth Jar-Jar. He's taking none of your shit anymore because of all the jokes leveled at him after ep. 1-3.

I hope the midget they have rolling around in the ball that's the R2D2 stand-in gets paid well for his troubles.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I'm only up on a couple series in the EU. Luke as a bad guy is laughable. He was always a bit of a "pussoir", as we would say.
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Greg wrote:
Jericho941 wrote:
Kommander wrote:Fun Fact: Since the Jedi are not part of any formal military command structure they are unlawful combatants. On the other hand the Sith, when they had their empire, integrated their force users into the command structure, therefore making them legitimate and legal combatants.
...according to the current LOAC established on a backwater planet in a galaxy far, far away. :P

Still, though, that's a bit of a stretch. With a Sith government it's more like a military dictatorship. The Jedi had some nebulous role in Republic military hierarchy, but they still had one, even if it seems to be making a general out of anyone holding a light saber.
The Jedi were integrated with the Republic government so thoroughly they were relied on as high-level go-to guys in multiple branches of service:

-military service, as leadership cadre *and* commandos, on land, air, sea and space
I have to admit that I am pretty much only going by what I saw in the MMO The Old Republic and should have specified that. In other works they are likely better integrated. In the MMO it always seemed like the Jedi were a bunch of random guys with lightsabers, accountable to their own internal hierarchy, not to the government of the republic and certainly not the people. Even the Bounty Hunter at least exists inside a legal framework, which is more than I can say for the Smuggler. In the Lucas prequels they didn't seem much better, though at least Quo Gon Gin and Obi Won were "Ambassadors" at some point.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Kommander wrote:
Greg wrote:
Jericho941 wrote: ...according to the current LOAC established on a backwater planet in a galaxy far, far away. :P

I have to admit that I am pretty much only going by what I saw in the MMO The Old Republic and should have specified that. In other works they are likely better integrated. In the MMO it always seemed like the Jedi were a bunch of random guys with lightsabers, accountable to their own internal hierarchy, not to the government of the republic and certainly not the people. Even the Bounty Hunter at least exists inside a legal framework, which is more than I can say for the Smuggler. In the Lucas prequels they didn't seem much better, though at least Quo Gon Gin and Obi Won were "Ambassadors" at some point.
The comparison point I would have is knights (on which the Jedi are verily loosely modeled). During the transition period between feudal and national armies you could have knights or other nobles who either served directly the sovereign or as allies to the sovereign under their own flag or be integrated into the Sovereign's army in various ways (in leadership positions or otherwise).
John_in_Longview

Steamforger wrote:I'm only up on a couple series in the EU. Luke as a bad guy is laughable. He was always a bit of a "pussoir", as we would say.
One of Lucas's original endings for Return of the Jedi had Luke taking over the empire after the death of the Emperor and his father.
John_in_Longview

[spoiler]Looks like we were wrong....[/spoiler]