Battletech Kickstarter

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
scipioafricanus

Battletech Kickstarter

Post by scipioafricanus »

This one looks to be a go. I am kinda excited for it.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/we ... h?ref=48hr

SA
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
randy

Re: Battletech Kickstarter

Post by randy »

I was excited until I found out it was for a game, not an actual Mech. :twisted:
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I was excited, until i found out it was for a turn based video game, and not a live action video game(Mechwarrior series), or the original board game.

Considering Megamek is free, both to acquire and play, and the most recent Mechwarrior game was a case of "Buy your path to victory".. I don't have high hopes.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

HTRN wrote:I was excited, until i found out it was for a turn based video game, and not a live action video game(Mechwarrior series), or the original board game.

Considering Megamek is free, both to acquire and play, and the most recent Mechwarrior game was a case of "Buy your path to victory".. I don't have high hopes.
It's amazing how often "Free to play" becomes "Pay to win." The producers sell them as "microtransactions", but there's nothing micro about $20-$30 a throw and it adds up very quickly. I know a guy that regularly spends $500-$1000 a month on Star Trek Online. I, on the other hand, have a difficult time buying anything outside of the sub.
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

HTRN wrote:Considering Megamek is free, both to acquire and play....
Free, and pretty impressive. Battletech with the nasty paperwork handled by the computer. I've become somewhat of an addict - which gives you some insights into just how miserable some of those Mech designs are. Medium Mechs are junk.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Mike OTDP wrote:Medium Mechs are junk.
Play a Hellstar. :ugeek:

Also, Remlab is a pretty good free online design tool for Battletech. I've come up with some seriously nasty machines(Ever seen a Clantech Thug? with MASC, Jumpjets, and XL engines?)
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

The guys doing this have been producing a very solid series of RPGs based in the Shadowrun universe for a few years. The latter two feature some of the best characters story I have seen recently the turn based combat is allot of fun. I would not worry about any pay to wind or other crap from these guys.
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

HTRN wrote:
Mike OTDP wrote:Medium Mechs are junk.
Play a Hellstar. :ugeek:

Also, Remlab is a pretty good free online design tool for Battletech. I've come up with some seriously nasty machines(Ever seen a Clantech Thug? with MASC, Jumpjets, and XL engines?)
After a lot of randomly generated forces, I've concluded that there's a "sour spot" in Mech design around 40-55 tons. Light Mechs have mobility, can use it to maneuver. Heavy and Assault Mechs have staying power and long-range weapons. Mediums have neither.
John_in_Longview

Post by John_in_Longview »

Kommander wrote:The guys doing this have been producing a very solid series of RPGs based in the Shadowrun universe for a few years. The latter two feature some of the best characters story I have seen recently the turn based combat is allot of fun. I would not worry about any pay to wind or other crap from these guys.
From Wiki
Shadowrun is also influenced by the writings of William Gibson (particularly Neuromancer).

Gibson, who gave no permission and expressed strong aversion for mixing his ideas with "spare me, *elves*," reacted as follows to its release:
"...when I see things like Shadowrun, the only negative thing I feel about it is that initial extreme revulsion at seeing my literary DNA mixed with elves. Somewhere somebody's sitting and saying 'I've got it! We're gonna do William Gibson and Tolkien!' Over my dead body! But I don't have to bear any aesthetic responsibility for it. I've never earned a nickel, but I wouldn't sue them. It's a fair cop. I'm sure there are people who could sue me, if they were so inclined, for messing with their stuff. So it's just kind of amusing."
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Now if somebody will do a Renegade Legion: Centurion game.. :ugeek: