Renters: secure gun storage

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Weetabix

Re: Renters: secure gun storage

Post by Weetabix »

Yogimus wrote:
Frankingun wrote:I take it he's going to need something not too expensive, but yet portable:

Stack On Cabinet
I myself use a stack on cabinet. Make sure you bolt it to floor or the wall. The lock on the cabinet can be defeated VERY quickly by anyone that knows how.
I have some Stack On cabinets, too. Any thoughts on hardening the lock? Maybe an aftermarket cylinder or something?

The less-easy-to-spot one isn't bolted down, but it just has old Mosins in it. Must fix that.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I have a Liberty 12 gun Centurion. It fits into most closets easily (I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere) and will deter for a good bit. It also falls into gravity assissted deterrence, coming in at something like 330 lbs. and no decent way to handle it when moving. Takes two grown men to move, three when stairs are involved. Has bolt holes for securing to both wall and floor. It has a 30 minute firerating. I think I paid $350 a couple of years ago.

I understand you could also get a Knackk 4830 with the Watchman IV locking system, stick an Abloy pad lock in there, bolt or chain it down and have an excellent theft deterrent that looks like not a gun safe. No fire rating though.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Hmmm, BURG-WÄCHTER dealer locator shows one up in Murrieta. That's convenient drive by on runs up to see family.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Jistuason

Post by Jistuason »

Another thing to keep in mind before purchasing your safe is the location that gun will be stored in. From small gun safes that can be mounted under a desk, to large versions that require plenty of room, it’s important to plan on where to keep your safe beforehand. Perhaps you want to keep the safe near your bedside for protection at night, in this case, a smaller safe is probably best for you.

Last edited by Jistuason on Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

I'll buck the trend and say that I wouldn't spend any money on a Stack On "safe."

For the AR, get a Tufloc storage rack and lag bolt it to a stud or a large piece of solid furniture. Failing that, build something out of plywood the that looks like furniture but has a hidden compartment for a gun. I build a simple small bookshelf/cabinet that has a false top. It can fit a few pistols. I also built a floating shelf that locks with a magnetic lock and holds a Glock 17 and a 33rd mag.
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Anyone know of a toolbox that allows for customized shelf sizes? (tool cabinet or whatever... with pull out drawers)
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Yogimus wrote:Anyone know of a toolbox that allows for customized shelf sizes? (tool cabinet or whatever... with pull out drawers)
The closest thing to a "toolbox" that I can think of is the likes of Lista, Lyon, Vidmar, etc..

A safe would be cheaper.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

I've got a couple Stack Ons, as well. They're mostly to keep curious younglings out, now that younglings come visit occasionally. They're lagged to my wall, so they should slow down most folks, plus all my reloading bullets sit atop them, because gravity and a flat space. I actually need something larger, as I've outgrown the pair I have.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
Greg

Post by Greg »

Lokidude wrote:I've got a couple Stack Ons, as well. They're mostly to keep curious younglings out, now that younglings come visit occasionally. They're lagged to my wall, so they should slow down most folks, plus all my reloading bullets sit atop them, because gravity and a flat space. I actually need something larger, as I've outgrown the pair I have.
As limited as they are, they're good for that. They're also good for CYA in certain jurisdictions, both legal and financial, should you have the bad luck of encountering a determined thief.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Thinking about ways to boost the security of a Stack-On type box relatively cheap and easy.

Wondering if there's something from how we used to bolt angle iron to our roll away tool chests sides. We'd fab simple fittings or notches to drop cross bars or pipes through and then padlock those cross piece.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story