Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Greg

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Greg »

Been working my way through 3 different books on pruning, from the library. Interesting subject, wish the desperate crash course weren't so imperative.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
toad

Post by toad »

Just finished Bernard Cornwell's "Waterloo; Four days, Three Armies, and Three Battles."
A lot of what goes on reminds of what is going on today. Mainly putting people in charge of things because of their connections and relations instead of their abilities.
Also when you talk of the "fog of war" Waterloo had it; smoke, rain, noise, language problems, and it was evident that even with watches hardly anybody had synchronized time.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
toad

Post by toad »

It has been a while so I decided to re-read MHI. It was free so that was nice. In a way the book was predictive with out annoying hobby horses some books are from the right. Just got a laugh from the line, "How many firearm regulations does this gun violate?, Milo starts counting on his fingers and then says, "All of them."
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

One of my co-workers has offered the opinion that, should MHI become a movie, I should be Milo.

I've pointed out that I don't have a beard, red hair, or a shaved head. He refuses to change his mind.

(Several of us have MHI stickers on our vehicles, though.)
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
evan price

Post by evan price »

MHI Nemesis, just finished as a palate cleanser between Destroyermen and Aubrey/Maturin books.
Franks kicks ass.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

The MHI crowd can be divided into two groups. The ones who think Agent Franks is da bomb, and the ones who think he should be staked with a thermite grenade on his chest.

Larry is pretty amazing, having one character who can provoke such emotions.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Still delving into Pratchett's Discworld series, just started Guards! Guards!
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Jered

Post by Jered »

First Shirt wrote: think he should be staked with a thermite grenade on his chest.
That would just piss him off.

After Nemesis or maybe as a result of Nemesis, I found him a more sympathetic character.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
toad

Post by toad »

The "Abomination" shotgun in MHI started out as a Saiga shotgun before Milo tweeked it into a full auto with side folding bayonet, grenade launcher, and holographic sight.
Made me think of Netpackrat for some reason.