Earpro

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Netpackrat

Re: Earpro

Post by Netpackrat »

Denis wrote:My interim solution was a trip to the local hearing-aid centre and two squirts of silicone goo in the ears. For about 100 EUR and ten day's wait, they made me custom non-electronic hunting earplugs, including a valve that cuts out loud noises, but passes quiet sounds through. I really like them. Sadly, no amplification, but they can be worn under a hat (important on cold days), are small and light to transport in their little case, and cost only half as much as the Sordin muffs. Recommended.
My dad had a set of those, and he loved them. I should probably look into getting a set made... I have a hard time using the foamy earplugs because most of them fall out of my ears no matter what.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Denis

Post by Denis »

Netpackrat wrote:I should probably look into getting a set made...
Just watch out which ones you order. My hearing-aid lady had a choice between "army" and "sport" models. The former have the valve, and are good for hunting (isolated/few bangs) and outdoor use, the latter are fully sealed - so don't pass quiet sounds through - and are better for indoor ranges and a lot of bangs.

I should note, ear plugs - unlike muffs - do not protect the bones of the skull and jaw, so all let more noise/vibrations through than earmuffs. For hunting use, I can accept that compromise. For indoor and range use, I prefer earmuffs, and often even use muffs and plugs. If you want electronic earmuffs for use on an indoor range, get the very best electronics you can afford - cheap electronics deal badly with echoes, and the phantom noises they produce are most annoying, at last I find them so.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

In the field, as in field artillery, plugs + muffs were the reason I had zero hearing loss when I got out.
It only took one 0.2 second "StandbyFIREBLAM!" warning call to drive that lesson home.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
AndytheAxe

Post by AndytheAxe »

The Sordins look really nice but they're out of my price range, but they're good to know about for the the future. I do most of my shooting at a nearby indoor range, so I'm liking the idea of plugs too. Sometimes the rifle butt will push my ears up enough the squishy part loses its seal, really annoying when I'm doing that and the guy in the next lane is shooing a 12 gauge.
"Of All the gin joints in All the Towns in All the World... she walks into mine" ~ Rick (Humphrey Bogart)
AndytheAxe

Post by AndytheAxe »

I got the Peltor 100s for my birthday and they are awesome :) I took them to the midatlantic blogshoot Murphy's Law does and it was nice to be able to hear people talk. They were pretty comfortable and didn't get pushed around by rifle butts. Even the .50 didn't cause any problems. Thanks for the recommendation!
"Of All the gin joints in All the Towns in All the World... she walks into mine" ~ Rick (Humphrey Bogart)
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

I always double up with foam earplugs and a set of Howard Leigh Impact Sport earmuffs. They work really well at attenuating gunshot noise but allowing normal conversation at both outdoor and indoor ranges. They get great battery life, and don't interfere with cheek weld or hit on the stock while shooting rifles or shotguns. I have tinnitus from playing instruments so many years, so having ambient noise instead of "dead" regular earmuffs is great. I've used them regularly for 6-7 years now.

The only problem I have with them is after long periods of time, the clamping effect on my glasses starts to get uncomfortable. They make replacement ear seals, but I can't find any way to order them from the company, nor anyone that stocks them.

I'll probably try the ones Aesop recommended next and keep the HL's as backup and for my wife to use. Aesop, what kind of ear seals does that set use? Gel or foam?
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I too picked up a set of the 3M Peltor 100s. I found them pretty much unusable, when turned on, at the indoor range. The range's exhaust system made an awful noise with the mics on. They were okay turned off, though I still had to double up with plugs.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Around Christmas last year, Home Depot had some Peltor Tactical 100s on sale for $50. I bought two pair, so far, they're great.
Denis

Post by Denis »

AndytheAxe wrote:I got the Peltor 100s for my birthday and they are awesome :)
Lucky you. Well wear!
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Darrell wrote:I too picked up a set of the 3M Peltor 100s. I found them pretty much unusable, when turned on, at the indoor range. The range's exhaust system made an awful noise with the mics on. They were okay turned off, though I still had to double up with plugs.
I got that with the Howard Leights, too.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D