Earpro

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
AndytheAxe

Earpro

Post by AndytheAxe »

I have a birthday coming up, and I've decided to ask for something better than the basic Dick's mufflers I've had since I got into shooting. Any recommendations? Price range I'm thinking 50-100. I see a lot on Amazon but I don't know what to look for as good features vs marketing.
"Of All the gin joints in All the Towns in All the World... she walks into mine" ~ Rick (Humphrey Bogart)
Erik

Re: Earpro

Post by Erik »

My recommendation would be electronic muffs that are waterproof. MSA Sordin or Peltor are popular here and I've never heard a bad word about either. (The ones that aren't waterproof can fail when it rains a lot.)
However, both are probably out of your pricerange, even though I think they are worth the price. Mine has lasted 8 years so far, even though I use them a lot I only need to switch batteries ones a year or so. I've also changed the sealing rings once to gel. I put them on when I get to the range and can keep them on all day, and still talk to others without raising my voice. When I need to focus I just turn them off.

Earpro has earplug kits that you mold to your own ears, and can be outfitted with a filter to make it possible to talk while having them on. I havent tried them, but the people that I've seen use them really like them. They're probably not the best thing for a very noisy range with a lot of high caliber fire though.

The Surefire ear defenders by Earpro has gotten some mixed reviews. It seems it really depends on the person if they like them or not, they just dont seem to fit some people, they get uncomfortable with them, and they tend to fall out. Other people say they fit great and are perfect for them.

My recommendation would be to stick with a cheap decent ear muffs until you can justify the expense of a MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X or Peltor electronic muffs. YMMV
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I just bought a pair of Howard Leight muffs on a friend's recommendation. Haven't shot with them yet, but I've played with them.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Try the 3M Peltor Tactical 100s.
Run on 2 AAAs, have an accessory jack for phone/mp3/radio, shut off at anything over 82dB, and they perform better against high frequency than low frequency (17dB attenuation at the low end vs. 40+ at the high end), which is perfect for gunshots.
Two external mikes, so you can use them afield as well as at the range.

$62 on Amazon, $79.99 off the rack at WallyWorld.

Bought 'em. Love 'em.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Aesop wrote:Try the 3M Peltor Tactical 100s.
Run on 2 AAAs, have an accessory jack for phone/mp3/radio, shut off at anything over 82dB, and they perform better against high frequency than low frequency (17dB attenuation at the low end vs. 40+ at the high end), which is perfect for gunshots.
Two external mikes, so you can use them afield as well as at the range.

$62 on Amazon, $79.99 off the rack at WallyWorld.

Bought 'em. Love 'em.
Those look better than the Peltors I have. Mine are great except for changing the batteries sucks... You have to pop the cushion out of the cup to get at them, because there is no access panel. The only other thing about them, is they are pretty much only good for the range. I tried to wear them at work once when I first got them, and it turns out, they amplify the sound of the 747 air conditioning pack. Not good.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I wonder how they work? They state a couple of times:
*Please note this is not a noise cancelling hearing protector.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
AndytheAxe

Post by AndytheAxe »

Cool, thanks :) I've added the peltor 100s to the list, and I can use the Howard Leights as a backup if the peltors are too pricy
Last edited by AndytheAxe on Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Of All the gin joints in All the Towns in All the World... she walks into mine" ~ Rick (Humphrey Bogart)
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

If they work like others I have seen, they work like normal muffs but have mics that transmit lower sounds like voices in to the cup so you can hear them.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I've been using Pro Ears Ultra 33s for years. They have 33 db reduction. Here's their website, I've seen them going for the low $30s elsewhere:

http://www.proears.com/Pro-Ears-Shootin ... n-Ultra-33
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Denis

Post by Denis »

I really like my MSA/Sordin units - the amplification isfantastic for still hunting. However, the on/off button went bad after 7-8 years hard use, so they'll have to go in for repair. As Erik says, they're not cheap.

My interim solution was a trip to the local hearing-aid centre and two squirts of silicone goo in the ears. For about 100 EUR and ten day's wait, they made me custom non-electronic hunting earplugs, including a valve that cuts out loud noises, but passes quiet sounds through. I really like them. Sadly, no amplification, but they can be worn under a hat (important on cold days), are small and light to transport in their little case, and cost only half as much as the Sordin muffs. Recommended.