Superhero Categories

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Weetabix

Re: Superhero Categories

Post by Weetabix »

You guys make me feel normal. And you can take that whichever way you like! :lol:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Dinochrome One

Re: Does not follow...

Post by Dinochrome One »

dfwmtx wrote:Where does the Punisher fit into your taxonomy?
Looks like #6 to me; he's just heavily-armed-and-cruel Batman.
Maxim 34: If you're only leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

evan price wrote:Well, no, y'see. Tony Stark and Bruce Wayne are rich geniuses but without their gear they are just normal people. "Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist" as Stark says in The Avengers.
I disagree. Stark is a brilliant engineer and inventor. His intellect IS his ability. The suit is merely the physical representation of his ability. Building the primitive suit in the cave in Crapanastan is a good example.

Wayne on the other hand, if you follow the Christopher Nolen movie theme, dedicated himself to learning, for lack of a better term, ninjitsu. His physical prowess and stealth are nothing to sneeze at, and I would consider far from a "normal" individual.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

dfwmtx wrote:Where does the Punisher fit into your taxonomy?
Punisher would be Peak Human. While he does use tech, it is mostly off-the-shelf technology within the reach of the common, or even uncommon man. He is foremost in the field of weapons employment and tactics.

While Batman and Green Arrow utilize tech to a degree, they are still extremely dangerous without.

Lex Luthor and Tony Stark, while Peak Human in terms of intelligence, they are not effective without tech to the degree that Batman, Nightwing, or even Joker (peak human in terms of planning, deceit, and psychology) are. Someone like Clock King (lame super villain who can coordinate events to the nanosecond), who could get beaten up by a middle-school kid is still peak human in his own field.

The greatest superhero would be the offspring of Superman and Wonder Woman raised by Bruce Wayne and armed with a Green Power Ring.
:jacked:
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Depending on the story, writer, etc. it often seems that the Punishes greatest super power is the fact that he is actually willing to kill people. Should make things interesting if they

Fun fact for those watching the Netflix Daredevil series:

[spoiler]By any legal standard the Daredevil committed a homicide during his fight with the red ninja guy that ended up extra crispy. So much for not killing people. Also Karen managed to do more damage to Wilson Fisk's operation by pulling a trigger a few times than the Daredevil ever did. I'm not sure that I am getting the message the writers intended to send.[/spoiler]
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Whatever tiers of superheroes you may have, remember this: Aquaman is the worst of the Superfriends. Hawkman is the worst of the second-tier Superfriends. Also note that the Superfriends are very very different from the Justice League.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
evan price

Post by evan price »

John_in_Longview wrote:
Kommander wrote: 1. Beings with an intrinsic natural ability- Superman, Aquaman, The X-Men, Thor, Hellboy

2. Beings with a gadget or suit that gives them special abilities- Iron Man, Ant-Man, The Falcon, Green Lanterns

3. Beings that have had some change that makes them special- Spiderman, The Flash, The Hulk,[strike]Green Lantern[/strike], Captain America

4. Beings that are Batman

There, fixed it.
The members of the Green Lantern Corps derive their power via their power rings. There are non-human members of the GLC which would fall into category 1 when compared to humans.
I would say that those non-human entities that have received GLC rings are themselves normal for their own archetypes.
However, given that, Superman is nothing special compared to Kryptonians either.

Also: Why does Aquaman rule the sea creatures, and why do the ants listen to Ant-Man when he commands them via his helmet?

Who elected them to be in charge?
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Denis

Post by Denis »

So where do Judge Dredd and Rogue Trooper fit in, not to mention the Watchmen?
toad

Post by toad »

Denis wrote:So where do Judge Dredd and Rogue Trooper fit in, not to mention the Watchmen?
Well IIRC Judge Dread had no superpowers. He was well equipped, big and mean, and had civil authority to judge and kill.
The Watchmen were a mixed bag some had super powers and some didn't.
Never came across the "Rogue Trooper".
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

Rogue Trooper was genetically crafted and "born", not sure where we'd fit him on the list.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult