Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Netpackrat

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Netpackrat »

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
John_in_Longview

Post by John_in_Longview »

Being a computer programmer, I figured it was past time for me to read Gibson's Sprawl Trilogy: Neuromancer, Count Zero, and Mona Lisa Overdrive, plus the short stories "Johnny Mnemonic," "New Rose Hotel," and "Burning Chrome". I enjoyed them, but I am not sure if how I believe the last book ended is correct.....
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Which book John_in_Longview? Mona Lisa Overdrive?
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

I've been going through the Destroyermen books.

On book 6, I think, now. I am enjoying them, the guy seems to think things through.
John_in_Longview

Post by John_in_Longview »

Kommander wrote:Which book John_in_Longview? Mona Lisa Overdrive?
Yes, that's the one.

[spoiler]It is my understanding that Bobby's (Count Zero) and Angela's memory constructs are in the Aleph (along with Colin and Finn), which contains a full copy of cyberspace. However, the Aleph is taken my Molly into the desert with the solar batteries rigged up by Slick, who says the batteries will last several months to a year. At some point the batteries will fail and the Aleph will lose power and all those in the Aleph will cease to be. I don't remember anything stating the Aleph was connected to the rest of the Matrix, so their "deaths" in the Aleph will be permanent?[/spoiler]
Dinochrome One

Post by Dinochrome One »

Cobar wrote:I've been going through the Destroyermen books.

On book 6, I think, now. I am enjoying them, the guy seems to think things through.
I'm reading those too. The first one was bought through the Science Fiction Book Club, but I found the rest of them in our favorite bookstore in Rolla; Eclipse. I'm reading Maelstrom right now. It's too bad that Walker and Mahan weren't FRAM-type destroyers with six 5-inch/fifties, some twin-40mm mounts, ASROC, and modern torpedo-tubes. Not to mention surface and air-search radars, sonar, and high-powered HF transmitters.
Maxim 34: If you're only leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
Jered

Post by Jered »

Dinochrome One wrote:
Cobar wrote:I've been going through the Destroyermen books.

I'm reading those too. The first one was bought through the Science Fiction Book Club, but I found the rest of them in our favorite bookstore in Rolla; Eclipse. I'm reading Maelstrom right now. It's too bad that Walker and Mahan weren't FRAM-type destroyers with six 5-inch/fifties, some twin-40mm mounts, ASROC, and modern torpedo-tubes. Not to mention surface and air-search radars, sonar, and high-powered HF transmitters.
While I recovered from surgery, I read all of those books.

It's like the Lost Regiment series only without the gore.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Flintlock Tom

Post by Flintlock Tom »

I'm currently reading through some of E.R. Burroughs books.
I do most of my reading on my Kindle. Is there some reason, beyond profit, that an e-book should cost 10 or 12 dollars?
:evil:
If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?
randy

Post by randy »

Flintlock Tom wrote:I'm currently reading through some of E.R. Burroughs books.
I do most of my reading on my Kindle. Is there some reason, beyond [strike]profit[/strike] greed, that an e-book should cost 10 or 12 dollars?
:evil:
FIFY. I'm as big an advocate for the capitalist system as anyone, and certainly think authors and other artists should be fairly compensated, but when an electronic version of a book or music, especially back-list titles, cost as much as the physical item, I think they've moved beyond fair profit to price gouging, and provides a large incentive to indulge in digital piracy.

One of the reasons (mostly because I like their authors) a lot of my reading is from Baen. I feel their prices are fair (or at least in the realm of what I am willing to pay in a fair exchange), and they don't keep their back-list titles pumped up. Of course their free library is pure evil (the first taste is free...), but it is an evil I can appreciate even as I fall victim to it. ;)

I would be willing to buy a lot of my physical library content again as e-books, but not at prices equal to or even higher to what I paid for the book in the first place.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

A poster over at GD recently commented on this - long story short, alot of real world publishers, who are dipping their toes into digital publishing, are basically clueless. Add in Amazons somewhat complicated pricing structure for Kindle books(you get charged per megabyte for delivery for some options), and you can see how it happens. This was in a thread by a popular author in GDs new book, which the kindle version was only a coupla bucks cheaper than the hardcover..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt