Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Rich Jordan

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Rich Jordan »

Polychrome, by Ryk E. Spoor, a Kickstarter-funded follow on story to L. Frank Baum's Oz series of books.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Finally finished Crime and Punishment last night. Started Notes from the Underground -- after that I think I'll go for something lighter, like King of the Khyber Rifles and Rung Ho! On the professional reading side I'm about halfway through Your Gut Is Still Not Smarter than Your Head, an excellent practitioner-oriented marketing book by Clancy and Krieg.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

Digging deep into my dead-tree library, I'm re-reading Run Silent, Run Deep by Edward L. Beach. After that are the sequels, Dust on the Sea, and Cold is the Sea.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Greg

Post by Greg »

Working through some Oracle documentation on Solaris Volume Manager. Haven't used it in over 10 years, when it was last known as Solstice Disksuite. We've started using it at work in some configurations, so have to refresh the old memory. Luckily it's relatively simple.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I finished H Is For Hawk, and have begun Grant and Sherman: The Friendship That Won The Civil War, by Charles Flood. Back on a Civil War kick.

H Is For Hawk is a great read, btw. Helen MacDonald, an experienced falconer, takes on the challenges of training a goshawk, after the death of her father. The book is about dealing with grief, a look into the life of T.H. White, and ruminations on being human; it's also about falconry, of course.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
evan price

Post by evan price »

308Mike wrote:
evan price wrote:Image

Cracking open an old series.
WOW!! How old is THAT??? Have they been compiled into a book, and if so, are they a different name?

There are now three omnibus editions that compose the first books.
Beginning Operations (2001) contains Hospital Station, Star Surgeon and Major Operation.
Alien Emergencies (2002) contains Ambulance Ship, Sector General and Star Healer.
General Practice (2003) contains Code Blue - Emergency and The Genocidal Healer.

These are pretty old school hard SF in the style of the time it was published. It's good for a read!
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Just ordered the first six of the Aubrey/Maturin series. I can't wait!
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Captain Wheelgun wrote:Digging deep into my dead-tree library, I'm re-reading Run Silent, Run Deep by Edward L. Beach. After that are the sequels, Dust on the Sea, and Cold is the Sea.
Books by Beach about subs are EXCELLENT!! ENJOY!!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

308Mike wrote:
Captain Wheelgun wrote:Digging deep into my dead-tree library, I'm re-reading Run Silent, Run Deep by Edward L. Beach. After that are the sequels, Dust on the Sea, and Cold is the Sea.
Books by Beach about subs are EXCELLENT!! ENJOY!!
I'm about halfway through Cold is the Sea. I like how he worked in references to his own postwar adventures aboard USS Trigger and USS Triton.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

Finished "Joe Steele". The ending would give liberals aneurisms.

"The Stand" Stephen King. I'm thinking this was during his days of heavy cocaine and vodka usage.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia