Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Netpackrat

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Netpackrat »

In the middle of Citadel by Ringo.

Edit: Finished.
Last edited by Netpackrat on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Greg

Post by Greg »

I'm a couple of chapters into Korzybski's Science and Sanity. Rather enjoying it so far. Actually so far it's pretty obvious.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

I've just started re-reading the Casca - The Eternal Mercenary series by Barry Sadler. I've got all 21 of them, so it may be a while to finish them.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I finally finished the World of Ice and Fire, by GRRM and Co. It's okay, I guess, if you're really into the GOT universe. I'm about to start something different--the Savage Tales of Solomon Kane, by Robert E. Howard. I don't think I've read anything by Howard since the Conan books my brother and I cut our teeth on in our teens.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Just found an old copy of Hook: The Boosted Man. It's schlock, but quite enjoyable schlock - old 70's purple sci fi.

Ryder Hook was a member of the top secret Boosted Man project which, IIRC, makes them invincible, lightning-fast supermen. But! [dramatic chord] They've gone bad. Ryder Hook is now a curmudgeonly loner on the run, and his sense of honor makes him unwillingly help the targeted innocents of the galaxy when he gets thrown in with them. He's always invincible, but the propinquity of another Boosted Man triggers the speed sympathetically... somehow.

It's like every fugitive/reluctant hero trope of 70's entertainment, but it was one of the first sci fi books I read as a yute, so I have an affection for it.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Re-reading Terry Pratchett's Hogfather. Just because.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Taking a break from the memoirs to read Napoleon and Blucher by Muhlbach. Just getting into it.
Rich

Post by Rich »

I’m halfway through the third volume of Bernard Cornwell’s Warlord Chronicles trilogy. They consist of The Winter King, Enemy of God, and Excalibur. And I’m thoroughly enjoying them.

As you may expect, this is a retelling of Arthur, Guenevere and Lancelot. It also includes the tragedy of Tristan and Isolde which has been woven into the Arthurian legend. All this against the backdrop of the Saxon (along with the Angles and Jutes) invasion of the British Isles which in time became England.

Cornwell doesn’t make Arthur out to be a heroic figure, just a man who winds up doing heroic deeds while sometimes being oblivious to things around him, ignoring treachery and the ambitions of those around him. The story is told in a similar manner as was his series The Saxon Tales.

Truly the Days of Thud and Blunder.

Recommended!
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Darrell wrote: It's okay, I guess, if you're really into the GOT universe.
What I would love to read, is a decent crossover between ASOIAF and Robert Howard's infamous barbarian. :ugeek:

That or alien space bats move a quaint little eastern European town to become Ned Stark's new neighbor.. :twisted:

Let's see Joffrey deal with a Mad Girl and her army of Monsters.. :lol:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

I reckon Mechanicsburg is quaint...

...for given values thereof. Coffee's good, anyway (or so one hears). :P
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!