Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Weetabix

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Weetabix »

David Drake and Tom Kratman's "March to the (destination)" series. First was good. Good character development. Decent story. The second is bogging down in wearisome technical hypothesizing.

"The Mardukans we want to help can cast a fair arquebus but they can't ream the jib sails unless we build a particle accelerator from these old timbers and that barrel hoop."

I'd like to see how Prince Roger turns out before I die. I've begun to skip long passages looking for the story. Sigh.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:David Drake and Tom Kratman's "March to the (destination)" series. First was good. Good character development. Decent story. The second is bogging down in wearisome technical hypothesizing.

"The Mardukans we want to help can cast a fair arquebus but they can't ream the jib sails unless we build a particle accelerator from these old timbers and that barrel hoop."

I'd like to see how Prince Roger turns out before I die. I've begun to skip long passages looking for the story. Sigh.
Uh, no. That series is by John Ringo and David Weber.

Weber is well known for having a bit of a self-indulgent fascination with the nuts-and-bolts details of technology, even fictional technology. His Honorverse books have a self-contained internally-consistent series of technologies (that develop over time!) w.r.t which some of his more 'on the spectrum' fans have developed an almost Rabbinical tradition of textural scholarship, and they obsessively argue over the most minor (fictional) technical points.

I find that aspect of Weber's writing (and his fans) rather tiresome, but it seems to entertain him and sell books, so what do I know?
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Greg wrote:Uh, no. That series is by John Ringo and David Weber.

Weber is well known for having a bit of a self-indulgent fascination with the nuts-and-bolts details of technology, even fictional technology. His Honorverse books have a self-contained internally-consistent series of technologies (that develop over time!) w.r.t which some of his more 'on the spectrum' fans have developed an almost Rabbinical tradition of textural scholarship, and they obsessively argue over the most minor (fictional) technical points.

I find that aspect of Weber's writing (and his fans) rather tiresome, but it seems to entertain him and sell books, so what do I know?
Oops. I didn't have it in front of me, and it's on a Nook, so no cover. At least I got Drake right.

Hmm. I'm going to feel free to skip liberally until I rediscover the thread of the actual story. The story is good. It's that nuts-and-bolts that's boring me to tears.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Presently reading GRRM's World of Ice and Fire. It was a Christmas gift. Big, unwieldy book, lots of sometimes garish artwork. It's a history of the Game of Thrones world, of Westeros in particular.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:
Greg wrote:Uh, no. That series is by John Ringo and David Weber.

Oops. I didn't have it in front of me, and it's on a Nook, so no cover. At least I got [strike]Drake[/strike]David right.

;) Different David. Weber is very different from Drake, though sometimes the fan bases overlap.
Hmm. I'm going to feel free to skip liberally until I rediscover the thread of the actual story. The story is good. It's that nuts-and-bolts that's boring me to tears.
I sympathize. I greatly enjoyed the series as a whole, but I also skipped giant chunks of 2 of the books.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Rod

Post by Rod »

I'm binge reading Doc Ford novels by Randy Wayne White. His character is a worthy successor to Travis McGee.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
evan price

Post by evan price »

Taking a break from binge-reading Harry Dresden books (Love them so far but one needs to rest one's taste buds after indulging in strong flavors). I'm about to start Book #11, Turn Coat.

So I'm whetting my appetite with the first two of the Lost Regiment books by William Forstchen. First one was OK. Second one seems about the same.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

evan price wrote:Taking a break from binge-reading Harry Dresden books (Love them so far but one needs to rest one's taste buds after indulging in strong flavors). I'm about to start Book #11, Turn Coat.

So I'm whetting my appetite with the first two of the Lost Regiment books by William Forstchen. First one was OK. Second one seems about the same.
I just recently finished re-reading that series, now I'm working on the kinda-sorta similar Misplaced Legion series by Harry Turtledove.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Greg wrote:;) Different David. Weber is very different from Drake, though sometimes the fan bases overlap.
OK. I'm done trying to do authors from memory when I'm reading electronically. :lol:
I sympathize. I greatly enjoyed the series as a whole, but I also skipped giant chunks of 2 of the books.
The skipping doesn't seem to be hurting me anywhere so far.
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

I just finished The Forgotten Man by Amity Schlaes. That also completed my project to finish reading all of the books I had started reading but not finished.

Now up is Gust Front by John Ringo, to be followed by a biography of MacArthur, Slim, or Zhukov.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus