Raspberry Pi?

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
blackeagle603

Re: Raspberry Pi?

Post by blackeagle603 »

wait til the IED guys figure this out. <shudder>
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Greg

Post by Greg »

Anyone interested in these things.... a new Raspberry Pi model came out a few days ago.

It's called the Raspberry Pi 2 Model B. Hardware upgrade. Fits in Raspberry Pi Model B+ cases. It has 1GB RAM and a new SoC with 4 cpu cores (instead of 1) at 900MHz (instead of 700) of a newer design. Same $35 suggested price.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Precision

Post by Precision »

BDK wrote:OK, so who wants to build one for me, in a water-proof box, with waterproof toggle overrides? (Oh, and controlling line power/three phase contactors.)

Precision, you said you were bored, right? How 'bout learning a new "cooking" skill?

:mrgreen:

The kid got convinced by his father that it was "too much for him" - which is BS - I can post, most, of the process here - will do so in a bit - but its simple.

I am always up for learning, but I really have no idea what we are talking about here. I mean I get that it is a thermocoupled pumping switch of some sort. Beyond that I have no basis to know if I even have the capacity to build this. If it was for me to play with and curse if I failed. I'd be all over it. Knowing what you do for a living. Might not be the best idea. :lol:

Besides we are starting a business or two and currently helping to put together a wedding for Dawn's older son. Life is almost good. Add some income and it will be good. Especially now that Dawn's prognosis seems to be quite good.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
BDK

Post by BDK »

Glad to hear things are doing better!

Our fabricator can program ladder language so he's going to take a crack at programming our existing controller.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Another FYI, in case anyone is into these things. I personally find myself tempted to turn a Pi (or something like one) into a retro gaming platform.

And there is a whole market of these things now, though the Raspberry Pi is probably the best known and with the largest community built up around it.

http://linuxgizmos.com/ringing-in-2015- ... cker-sbcs/
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

There's a new updated Raspberry Pi that is becoming available (as orders catch up). 900MHz quad core, 1GB RAM, still $35. Plus if you're not up to handling an actual operating system, Windows 10 will be available to run on the unit.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Rich Jordan wrote:There's a new updated Raspberry Pi that is becoming available (as orders catch up). 900MHz quad core, 1GB RAM, still $35. Plus if you're not up to handling an actual operating system, Windows 10 will be available to run on the unit.
Look four messages up. I only beat you by a week. ;)

Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Greg wrote:
Rich Jordan wrote:There's a new updated Raspberry Pi that is becoming available (as orders catch up). 900MHz quad core, 1GB RAM, still $35. Plus if you're not up to handling an actual operating system, Windows 10 will be available to run on the unit.
Yeah sorry, I snuck in at work and missed that. my bad
Greg

Post by Greg »

Rich Jordan wrote:
Greg wrote:
Yeah sorry, I snuck in at work and missed that. my bad
Nah more like 'great minds think alike'. But I'm cooler because I said it first. :lol:

Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Greg wrote:
Nah more like 'great minds think alike'. But I'm cooler because I said it first. :lol:
Do you have a Pi? Mine is connected to a powered USB hub, a Philips 20" square aspect monitor, Seagate dock/hard drive, keyboard, mouse, and is currently running USB bitcoin miners that I plucked from a trash can (why not?)

Plus I get my occasional "Un*x" fix on it.