I have gas and small orifices (camping appliance repair)

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Weetabix

I have gas and small orifices (camping appliance repair)

Post by Weetabix »

Subsequent to a decision to rescue the basement from years of neglect and people's dumping things they didn't know what to do with, I unearthed a pile of gas camping appliances that didn't work.

I'd bought over the years, some Coleman stoves and lanterns at garage sales figuring on one day repairing them. Additionally, I had a small butane lantern (runs on the little fuel cans of isobutane) that had stopped working and an old single burner stove that had failed spectacularly (gouts of yellow flame) during a Scout camp out years ago.

Beginning with two fundamental principles, I began the journey of discovery and repair. The two principles?

- If they got it together, I can get it apart.
- It doesn't work now, so I can't make it work much less.

I started with the gas lanterns, since I'd discovered that my good propane lantern had gone missing (note to self: label your stuff before you camp with others, and count your gear when packing to leave).

So. Disassemble, clean, clean, clean, reassemble and test.

One stove and one lantern wouldn't pump up. Buy a pump repair kit and a new pump cup.

One lantern wouldn't let any gas through. Disassemble the generator. Some previous owner had reassembled it badly and bent the cleaning pin over. Buy a new generator.

Some parts and some cleaning, and the stoves and lanterns work. One stove could use a new generator, I think, but they're $25, so I'll hold off a bit.

One lantern has some light level issues. Probably from the old fuel that was in there when I bought it. I need to figure out what to do with the old fuel and replace it.

For about $100 in initial purchase price and parts, I now have two gas lanterns and two gas stoves that work. One of each works well, and the other two acceptably.

Bitten by the gas appliance bug, I approached the old propane bottle top single burner stove. The nut above the valve wouldn't let gas through. I could see where the orifice was, but it was so small, I couldn't find anything small enough to push through it. I beat on it from the top and bottom with a nylon hammer to try to dislodge whatever was in it. Then I polished the top with some 0000 steel wool. I applied a vacuum to the back of the valve (I suck) and I was getting some air through. Clean, clean, clean the rest of it. Reassemble. Lit it up, and it works. Yay!

On to the butane lantern. This is a small backpacking lantern that mounts on the same short fuel canisters that the MSR Pocket Rocket goes on. It's very small and gives lots of light. When it works. It had stopped some time ago - no gas flow. I got lucky on this one. There was a pin that kept the valve from unscrewing out all the way. I drifted that out and took the valve screw out. Then (inside, of course), I plugged a canister into it to blow it out a bit. Screwed the valve back in, and it lit up. Drifted the pin back in, and my lantern works again. Yay!

Lessons for me:
- Head mounted, lighted magnifiers are a great help when you have small orifices
- Take it apart. What could go wrong?
- Think where the gas goes and where the air comes from.
- I like labeling stuff with white duct tape and sharpies.
Last edited by Weetabix on Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
PawPaw

Re: I have gas and small orifices

Post by PawPaw »

I have gas and small orifices
When I saw the post title, I though maybe you were having digestive issues.

Oh, we're talking about propane equipment. Yeah, they're pretty simple once you get into them. Not much to go wrong, and spare parts are easily available. Good job on figuring it out.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

I was hoping against hope this was something like a discussion about your AR platform. I can live with propane appliances as the actual culprit.
As I clicked on this, the left side of my brain was screaming internally "TMI! TMI!"
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

<- backs out of thread, disappointed
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Yogimus wrote:<- backs out of thread, disappointed
*plays the end-of-episode music from The Incredible Hulk as Yogi leaves the thread, searching for new trouble*
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Greg

Post by Greg »

I personally was expecting some kind of high-pitched noise.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Geez! It's in Gear Talk and Tech, not The Kitchen Table. :lol:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Post by randy »

Weetabix wrote:Geez! It's in Gear Talk and Tech, not The Kitchen Table. :lol:
But with Yogi, the difference might not be as great as you hope. :twisted:
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Weetabix wrote:Geez! It's in Gear Talk and Tech, not The Kitchen Table. :lol:
I didn't know what kind of gear you were going to talk about. :mrgreen:
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House