GC fundraiser

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Cobar

Re: GC fundraiser

Post by Cobar »

I gots me a real job now, so I'm in.
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

I would prefer a slightly more transparent process since the "incident"
BDK

Post by BDK »

Yogi, I trust CC, but if it would help - I need to check w the ethics board first - I could do something like providing my Bar number as ID, and agreeing to verify the propriety of any disbursements.

Really, we just need to get a charitable structure, and we can open a dedicated account - we could make it require multiple signatures form a proper board etc but that seems a bit much
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Nah, just a "thank you for the donation on XXX (date and size of donation) our total raised is XXX"
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

What are you thinking about to raise the money? You want to use one of those sites which take a chunk of the donations? Set up your own direct deposit accounts which accepts Internet contributions? I just don't want to see the donations getting watered down because the donation site is skimming 10% off the top.

I'd be MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE making direct contributions to a separate account you control, but which you can link to something other than your own personal income for Income Tax reasons.

If you've completed the 503(c) process for the site, and have an account linked to it, then you should be okay. I just don't want you to get hammered for taxes for donations donated to the site which the IRS might be trying to tack onto your personal income.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

We will set up a separate account for the donations under the operating name. 503c status can take a while so maybe an LLC or DBA to start with. I am happy to post amounts but some users want to be anonymous there too so I thought a doner number or something so the amount still gets posted. I don't want to go overboard but I do want to start on a good foot and make this thing self sufficient etc.
308Mike wrote:What are you thinking about to raise the money? You want to use one of those sites which take a chunk of the donations? Set up your own direct deposit accounts which accepts Internet contributions? I just don't want to see the donations getting watered down because the donation site is skimming 10% off the top.

I'd be MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE making direct contributions to a separate account you control, but which you can link to something other than your own personal income for Income Tax reasons.

If you've completed the 503(c) process for the site, and have an account linked to it, then you should be okay. I just don't want you to get hammered for taxes for donations donated to the site which the IRS might be trying to tack onto your personal income.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

It all sounds good- I'm in.
Dinochrome One

Post by Dinochrome One »

Same here.
Maxim 34: If you're only leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

CombatController wrote:We will set up a separate account for the donations under the operating name. 503c status can take a while so maybe an LLC or DBA to start with. I am happy to post amounts but some users want to be anonymous there too so I thought a doner number or something so the amount still gets posted. I don't want to go overboard but I do want to start on a good foot and make this thing self sufficient etc.
Please post when you get that completed and how we can use it (published donation or not), and I'll be more than happy to make a contribution to the cause (I know it's just technical stuff to get done, and it might take a little time, so please let us know when we're cleared to make the donations [and where], and if there are any restrictions) so we know beforehand so we don't run into any surprises during the donation process.

Thanks for all your hard work and commitment to the cause!!! :)
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

We are going to take a crack at getting it set up now, everyone got pretty distracted with year end stuff.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.