Raspberry Pi?

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
BDK

Raspberry Pi?

Post by BDK »

Anyone know anything about them? We have a young engineer who wants to use one to automate some of our processes, as part of an internship.
JohnOC

Re: Raspberry Pi?

Post by JohnOC »

No direct experience with them, though they are wildly popular with people doing intermediate/advanced hardware hacking projects - like process automation. Especially with combinations of off-the-shelf and custom sensors and outputs.

Its an ARM processor running one of several customized distributions of Linux. I'd expect it to be very suitable for running a single application 24/7 for a long, long time without any operating system troubles.
The government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have. – Thomas Jefferson
Rustyv

Post by Rustyv »

Have several projects running on them. They're fantastic general purpose boards that run a version of Linux.

Been running everything from print servers to routers for months on end, been hacking projects together for longer.
Welcome to the internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Dance like it hurts, Love like you need the money, Work like people are watching - Scott Adams
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

They're cheep enough that it should not be a problem to prototype it. If i used it for that id make sure to have spares and that it fails safely. Im not aware of any RTOSes for it...
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

I know a couple of hobbyists that like them. I saw one that had been installed with a monitor and keyboard inside a lunchbox.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I've heard it said that if you're looking for a controller, use an Arduino. If you're looking for a microcomputer, use a Raspberry Pi.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Darrell wrote:I've heard it said that if you're looking for a controller, use an Arduino. If you're looking for a microcomputer, use a Raspberry Pi.
This is true, you can also interface them with each other as well.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Darrell wrote:I've heard it said that if you're looking for a controller, use an Arduino. If you're looking for a microcomputer, use a Raspberry Pi.
and if you want something to do both, get a beaglebone black. Lots more i/o. Much faster chip, has USB Ethernet..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
BDK

Post by BDK »

OK, so who wants to build one for me, in a water-proof box, with waterproof toggle overrides? (Oh, and controlling line power/three phase contactors.)

Precision, you said you were bored, right? How 'bout learning a new "cooking" skill?

:mrgreen:

The kid got convinced by his father that it was "too much for him" - which is BS - I can post, most, of the process here - will do so in a bit - but its simple.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

No matter how you do it, have the designer document the hell out of it. You don't want to have something remotely process critical that no one else can work on. See the thread on Darrell's indispensability to his operation. :mrgreen:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D