My Gizmo--Update, Acid Test

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
HTRN

Re: My Gizmo

Post by HTRN »

Darrell, You said you did this in your spare time, correct? Did the Company pay for any of the materials? If not, YOU own the machine, and not just the physical, the IP as well, assuming you didn't sign one of those more ridiculous contracts that state the company owns everything you dream up during your period of employment.

If you're company is going to make money on this, so should you. If not, contact an attorney.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

HTRN wrote:Darrell, You said you did this in your spare time, correct? Did the Company pay for any of the materials? If not, YOU own the machine, and not just the physical, the IP as well, assuming you didn't sign one of those more ridiculous contracts that state the company owns everything you dream up during your period of employment.

If you're company is going to make money on this, so should you. If not, contact an attorney.
I did it in my spare time at work, over the course of several months. And yes, I used company materials in the build.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I would still be looking for a payday. If they make money, so should you.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

HTRN wrote:I would still be looking for a payday. If they make money, so should you.
Hey, them executive bonuses ain't gonna pay themselves... :P
Eppur si muove--Galileo
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Good stuff!
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

With this on your resume, I know a company that would LOVE to talk to you! Doesn't have a place in Colorado, but has mills in Utah and Arizona, as well as a number of places down south.

Just in case you were wondering...
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

does that tape HAVE to be a continuous piece, or can it be taped on in 3 separate strips
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Create a 3 step process that can be automated as opposed to a half manual 1 step process
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

First Shirt wrote:With this on your resume, I know a company that would LOVE to talk to you! Doesn't have a place in Colorado, but has mills in Utah and Arizona, as well as a number of places down south.

Just in case you were wondering...
Does it start with a G? Or maybe an R?
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

An update--the gizmo is getting an acid test. An order for 4,500+ sets came through, at four bars per set that's 18,000+ bars. They want them done by Sunday. :roll: Evidently it's a commercial job. The machine will outproduce any three people doing it by hand, but even so, they have a bunch of people doing it the old fashioned way, on top of the machine's output, just to try to hit the deadline. It's crazy. I went back to our shop and found the first thing I'd built, a simple sort of jig, made of maple die board. It holds the roll of tape at one end, paying out the tape face up, with a channel for the tape to be drawn out, and the bar laid in place atop it. When I showed it to the leads back at the beginning of the project, they didn't like it, wanting something electric with bells and whistles, hence the gizmo. Turns out the jig works well all by itself, still faster and better quality than doing it purely by hand. It would be easy enough to knock out several of the jigs on our table/die saw, and assemble them with epoxy. I suspect I'm going to be building several additional machines in 2015. I've already made mental notes on improvements to any Mk II version.

In other news, OSHA has paid us a visit, and will again in the near future. Turns out a seasonal employee, a temp hired for our holiday busy season, didn't like our sandblasting area, and contacted the Feds. We have two sandblast cabinets, running aluminum oxide and silicon carbide, used in etching/engraving of glass, ceramics and such. It is an inherently messy process, and since I left the area when the Angry Lesbian and I butted heads a year and a half ago, the equipment hasn't been kept in good order. Exposure to the abrasives and dust generated in the process is bad news health-wise (think silicosis). The operators do wear respirators when using the sandblasting equipment, but the kid in question got a hard on over the process, cleanliness and such. Management is wetting their pants over OSHA's visits and what might happen. Of all the mechs we had or still have, guess who's the only one with any experience servicing the equipment? ;)
Eppur si muove--Galileo