My Gizmo--Update, Acid Test

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Precision

Re: My Gizmo

Post by Precision »

a quality company would cut you in on the labor savings.

The hospital my mother worked at would cut you in for 10% of the labor savings / material savings. The only downside was they did it as a bonus (40% loss to the tax man).

Then of course some jack ass bean counter saw that as too much "give away" and stopped the practice. Amazingly, the good ideas have mostly dried up.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
BDK

Post by BDK »

I like that policy. I know I want to structure a profitability incentive somehow - production bonuses drove productivity through the roof.

I'm not sure how well it could apply outside of engineering, but I like it...
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Precision wrote:a quality company would cut you in on the labor savings.

The hospital my mother worked at would cut you in for 10% of the labor savings / material savings. The only downside was they did it as a bonus (40% loss to the tax man).

Then of course some jack ass bean counter saw that as too much "give away" and stopped the practice. Amazingly, the good ideas have mostly dried up.
Our corporate owner, a billionaire, visited some months ago and gave a speech to us. He said he wanted One Thousand Ideas. Well, there's one. :roll: I make product and process suggestions all the time. None of it goes anywhere. Not Invented Here runs the show.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Why didn't you develop this independent of the company and then sell it, or at least the idea, to them?
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Kommander wrote:Why didn't you develop this independent of the company and then sell it, or at least the idea, to them?
I was approached by the department's leads with the request for something to do the job. It was done on company time, with company materials, using the company's machine tools and such. I did spend quite a few sleepless nights building it in my head, resolving design considerations, etc.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Ok, I understand that. They have then essentially already paid you for making the machine. Perhaps if there is demand for such they can set up another department or the lake making ans dealing these things, with you at the head, with the proper bump in pay.
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

The machine is free. The maintenance? That's gonna cost extra.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Kommander wrote:Ok, I understand that. They have then essentially already paid you for making the machine. Perhaps if there is demand for such they can set up another department or the lake making ans dealing these things, with you at the head, with the proper bump in pay.
Well, as I've told my boss, I am not a hammer jockey. I've done such things many times. That and fifty cents will buy me a cup of coffee. We're running very lean (we had another 3% RIF recently), the company won't create another department. I wouldn't want the hassle of being in management at any rate.

I don't get to do design and fabrication as much as I used to. It's probably the favorite part of my job.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

Kudos, bravo, chin up and chest out with all that. Well done. I would hope you have solidified a retirement with them. Best wishes for your future advancement. Regards from your southern shootin range..... :D :)
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Yogimus wrote:The machine is free. The maintenance? That's gonna cost extra.
This. Document sparingly.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop