Need flashlight - high lumen, short OAL

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
rightisright

Re: Need flashlight - high lumen, short OAL

Post by rightisright »

I'm w. Greg on the AAA lights. I've been trying to consolidate my everyday FLs to AA or D.

That said, I couldn't pass up a Costco $15 deal for these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/381005167807?lpid=82 They now reside as backups in vehicles. And I'm pissed I didn't buy a few more sets but hopeful they will come back on-sale.

Flashlights are like higher education; diversity rules! ;)
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

rightisright wrote: ...That said, I couldn't pass up a Costco $15 deal for these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/381005167807?lpid=82 They now reside as backups in vehicles....
Yep, those are of the sort I'll buy for my kids and wife to keep in their vehicles, bedroom, backpacks etc. Good stocking stuffers at Xmas time.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Precision

Post by Precision »

This is what you need.

h[url]ttp://www.fenixoutfitters.com/fenix-e41-led-flashlight/[/url]

Eye scorching wonderness. :lol:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
workinwifdakids

Post by workinwifdakids »

Precision wrote:This is what you need.

http://www.fenixoutfitters.com/fenix-e4 ... lashlight/

YESH!

I'm going in, boys. Cover me.

EDIT: Oh, and AA, too? I think I may kiss you.
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:
Greg wrote:Would you prefer a 'tube' light where it's the same (or almost) diameter its whole length, or would you be willing to accept a big 'head' in order to get a more capable reflector?
I think tube with a clip so it won't dump out of a pocket in a backpack. Seems like the bigger headed ones are top heavy and dump out. You know me - I'm more about convenience for this sort of thing than absolute peak performance.

The quark with two AA's looked interesting. There was one with about 5 light levels from very low to very bright. The little olight I carry now has moon, medium (40 lumens?) and high (80, I think). It's pretty good for most of what I do, so 250 or so would probably do everything I needed.

You may have just cost me $65. :P
I have a similar one, from the 'Tactical' line. I have an extra battery tube so I can set it up as either a single or double aa light. Mine is slightly older tech, max output is just over 100 lumens on 1 aa, and just over 200 lumens on 2 aa. Real, out the front lumens. I used it set up as 2 aa as my nightstand light for a long time.

I don't feel too bad. :)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Precision

Post by Precision »

workinwifdakids wrote:

YESH!

I might allow the Euro cheek air kiss as being the least icky version of said kiss.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
workinwifdakids

Post by workinwifdakids »

:lol:
I've standardized on AA, but for the lumens I want I'd consigned myself to using some other battery. Seriously pleased right now.
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

I was also looking at high-output small flashlights a while back, and came across this VERY PRICY little number (I have to wonder hot hot it gets):

But is it worth $200????
From the makers of the world's most refined lasers, comes the ultimate in handheld flashlights. The Flashtorch is a compact, portable searchlight that is capable of producing an incredible 4100 lumens of intense white light. Use this power to guide your way home, light a fire, or even fry an egg!
I would LOVE to hear from anyone who has one, used one, or knows someone who has one and is willing to talk about it!!!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Termite

Post by Termite »

workinwifdakids wrote:

YESH!

This one is very similiar. http://www.batteryjunction.com/nitecore-ea41-xml2.html
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Greg

Post by Greg »

308Mike wrote:I was also looking at high-output small flashlights a while back, and came across this VERY PRICY little number (I have to wonder hot hot it gets):

But is it worth $200????
From the makers of the world's most refined lasers, comes the ultimate in handheld flashlights. The Flashtorch is a compact, portable searchlight that is capable of producing an incredible 4100 lumens of intense white light. Use this power to guide your way home, light a fire, or even fry an egg!
I would LOVE to hear from anyone who has one, used one, or knows someone who has one and is willing to talk about it!!!
It's a 100W incandescent. Using the higher capacity battery pack (note the custom battery pack this requires), you get a runtime of 20 minutes on high. Not that you'd run it continuously for that long, or you're liable to set something on fire. Getting rid of that much heat is problematic.

Hotwire (very high power incandescent) builds like this are nothing new. It was *the* path to extremely bright flashlights before power LED's started to get really good. It's a very niche item, yes which implies expensive. It's hard on your batteries, hard on the bulbs (your bulb life is going to be very short, and the bulbs are going to be very expensive), but when it's running it's bright.

You can get similar output in a cheaper LED light nowadays, but they use something like 4 XM-L2 LED's and multiple lithium batteries. Without quite as much waste heat, or short life of very expensive bulbs.

If you really like the color rendition of incandescents compared to LED's it might be worth it use this, or a different hotwire build, but they are less practical and efficient than LED's.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr