Kerosene Lanterns for the prepper or camper

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
skb12172

Re: Kerosene Lanterns for the prepper or camper

Post by skb12172 »

Those heaters are awesome. My parents use one in the main floor of their house, which is the only floor they use now, and don't even turn on the furnace.
Last edited by skb12172 on Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

If this is all your original work (and I have no reason to believe that it isn't), you should submit it to Survivalblog, and see if you can win some swag.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Well, I took the plunge. I bought a W.T. Kirkman #2 "Champion" Cold Blast Lantern, a W.T. Kirkman No. 2 Warming Plate, four Dietz #30 Little Wizard Cold Blast Lanterns, some wicks, and a frosted globe for the big lantern.

I must say, I like them a lot. The big lantern puts out plenty of light. The website says 12-14 candle power. We have it lit right now. Too much light hurts my wife's eyes right now, and this one provides a comfortable level. It's sort of warm and cozy. I haven't used the warming plate, yet, but it and the big lantern will go camping with me soon.

The smaller lantern puts out a good bit of light, too. I'm planning on hanging three of them on the porch and keeping the fourth for a spare.

The linked website provided fast shipping and some of the most excellent packaging I think I've ever gotten mail order.

Thanks for the impetus, Evan. I've been meaning to do this since we were without power for 13 days after an ice storm in 2007.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

I bought 3 of the discounted Dietz lanterns and a gallon of Kleen Heat because my local Home Despot was out of Kero containers.

I generally keep my living room dark while watching the tube and these guys put off just enough warm light to be enjoyable yet not disturbing.

Thanks again, Evan!
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Got a couple old Feuerhand babys and one slightly larger Feuerhand off eBay for Xmas presents. The little baby unit's are (dare I say?) cute.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
evan price

Post by evan price »

I'm beginning to think WT Kirkman owes me a commission check, after this and other forum sales...!

Enjoy your lanterns.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Work a deal. I'll vouch for you.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

evan price wrote:I'm beginning to think WT Kirkman owes me a commission check, after this and other forum sales...!

Enjoy your lanterns.
Only reason I didn't pick up a few of the discounted Dietz lanterns is I'm already short on space.

Thanks for the tip, and I will follow up. Just not for a while. ;)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Termite

Post by Termite »

If you want a lot of light from a kerosene lantern, and don't mind listening to "Ssssssssssss.....", then the old Coleman pressurized lanterns are great.
http://www.coleman.com/product/1-mantle ... egory=1025
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Termite

Post by Termite »

rightisright wrote:I bought....... a gallon of Kleen Heat because my local Home Despot was out of Kero containers.
Go to your local airport that sells Jet A. Get it WITHOUT Prist(anti-icing additive).

Jet A and K1 kerosene are very close, with Jet A burning a little bit cleaner.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."