Kerosene Lanterns for the prepper or camper

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Jered

Re: Kerosene Lanterns for the prepper or camper

Post by Jered »

You can find wicks at Wal-Mart
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
evan price

Post by evan price »

gandalf23 wrote:My wife and I bought 10 or so of these little red lanterns at a garage sale to use at our wedding, I'd almost forgotten about them.
IMG_1335.JPG
Says they are "No 202 Globe Brand The World Lighting MFY Made In Hong Kong"

Think they'll be any good? We never used them other than as decoration. Most of them don't have wicks even.

Guess I need to get some kerosene and wicks and try them out. Where does one find wicks?
The Globe.#202 is a copy of the Feuerhand #175 Super Baby & Winged Wheel #350. They take the same globe and probably the same 1/2" wick.
WT Kirkman has wick or try a True Value hardware.
AS long as the parts are all there they should work. Check for rust in the founts or holes. Make sure the wick riser wheel works. I bet they work great.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

"BUT, again, the EPA regulated these things out of existence and I lock them up almost as securely as I do my ammunition. Pre-ban fuel cans are a serious black market item, no sh*t, and it kills me to even have to admit there is such a thing as a "Pre ban fuel can". (Evan Price, above)

Well, I will be dipped in bureaucrat. I had never heard of this; I've been using the same 5 gal and 1 gal jugs for years, never even looked at newer ones. What a load of pure government harass-fail. I guess I'm late to the party but I'll be looking at garage sales. Thanks, EP.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Some people need to learn to shrink their images.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

OK, more questions from someone who knows next to nothing about these things: Are they, and their cousins the kerosene heater, safe to use indoors? Can the kerosene be safely stored in a basement (since my other option would be the shed outside, which is subject to temperature swings since it's just a steel storage shed).

I'm thinking back to Sandy, where I had no electricity (thus no heat) for 9 days. Lighting issues have been addressed with a number of LED lanterns, but supplementing with alternates might not be a bad idea.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I dunno. My familiarity with kerosene heaters are the jet ones used in garages, and they're definitely NOT for indoor use. I would think Kerosene lanterns should be okay, so long as you're not running a bajillion of them. A battery operated CO meter is probably a good idea.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
evan price

Post by evan price »

MarkD wrote:OK, more questions from someone who knows next to nothing about these things: Are they, and their cousins the kerosene heater, safe to use indoors? Can the kerosene be safely stored in a basement (since my other option would be the shed outside, which is subject to temperature swings since it's just a steel storage shed).

I'm thinking back to Sandy, where I had no electricity (thus no heat) for 9 days. Lighting issues have been addressed with a number of LED lanterns, but supplementing with alternates might not be a bad idea.
Kerosene is reasonably safe. It is a flammable liquid but it has a high flashpoint. People have had their heating oil tanks in the basement as long as there have been oil furnaces. Obviously don't store it next to the open flame but kerosene doesn't explode like gas. I would day it is safer than ethanol and I know I have several gallons of ethanol right in my kitchen in glass bottles lol.
Heaters and lamps are fine to use indoors as long as you are using pure, clean fuel, and you don't have a totally air tight house. Also you need to be cognizant of the fact that this is an open flame. Lots safer than a candle but still heaters and lanterns get hot. You need to make sure that flammable materials are kept far enough away that there isn't a hazard. Heat rises so do be aware of clearances above and around the unit including things like curtains that might get blown or pushed against the unit.
I personally have supplemented my heat with radiant kero heaters and kept lanterns for 15 years. Like anything you need to take reasonable precautions.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

evan price wrote: Kerosene is reasonably safe. It is a flammable liquid but it has a high flashpoint. People have had their heating oil tanks in the basement as long as there have been oil furnaces.
Duh, I HAVE oil heat. I guess if I stored 10-20 gallons of kerosene right next to the oil tank it couldn't make things any WORSE....
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

When I moved to Alaska, we were in a log cabin with no water, and a previous resident had buggered up the meter on the stove. We used a Kerosun heater inside running off of winter diesel. Probably not as clean as kerosene. :P
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

MarkD wrote:OK, more questions from someone who knows next to nothing about these things: Are they, and their cousins the kerosene heater, safe to use indoors? Can the kerosene be safely stored in a basement (since my other option would be the shed outside, which is subject to temperature swings since it's just a steel storage shed).
A couple years ago we went without power for 5 days due to a windstorm that knocked out power lines all over Anchorage. I used a kerosene heater like this to keep my house warm during that time. The kerosene had been stored in my outdoor shed subject to our normal temperature extremes for a couple of years at that time, and it worked fine.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop