Kerosene Lanterns for the prepper or camper

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Weetabix

Re: Kerosene Lanterns for the prepper or camper

Post by Weetabix »

Back to the OP, though... I think it's the Deitz Junior 20 that I've had in the back of my mind for quite some time as a "want eventually." I may need to get one of those sooner just for fun.

ETA: I think this is the one I was looking at. Does anyone have a better source?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Is a hot blast lantern better for indoors than a cold blast since it reburns unburnt hydrocarbons? I.E. less stink and better indoor air quality?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

this thread gives me some Xmas gift ideas.

Got a used "Nier Feuerhand Baby 275 Hurricane Lantern Oil Lamp West Germany Jena Glass " on the way.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
evan price

Post by evan price »

Weetabix wrote:Back to the OP, though... I think it's the Deitz Junior 20 that I've had in the back of my mind for quite some time as a "want eventually." I may need to get one of those sooner just for fun.

ETA: I think this is the one I was looking at. Does anyone have a better source?
WT kirkman is a good source as is Lehmans country store.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
evan price

Post by evan price »

Weetabix wrote:Is a hot blast lantern better for indoors than a cold blast since it reburns unburnt hydrocarbons? I.E. less stink and better indoor air quality?
Yes, but at a cost of less light brightness.

evan price

Post by evan price »

skb12172 wrote:
evan price wrote:
MarkD wrote:Interesting.

How long can kerosene be stored?
If stored in a sealed, preferably opaque container away from temperature swings, forever. Kerosene is an oil not a solvent. It can get condensation in the container so you should have a way to deal with that. I've used kerosene that is 30 years old.
So a "plastic" Walmart gas can would be out?
No, it would be fine if you keep it somewhere out of light and a cool dry place. Assuming it seals well.

Jered

Post by Jered »

evan price wrote:
MarkD wrote:Interesting.

How long can kerosene be stored?
If stored in a sealed, preferably opaque container away from temperature swings, forever. Kerosene is an oil not a solvent. It can get condensation in the container so you should have a way to deal with that. I've used kerosene that is 30 years old.
Interestingly enough, I have one of those Wal-Mart kerosene lamps hanging on a nail in my shed. I've had the same kerosene in it for years, and it still lights up.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
evan price

Post by evan price »

Just FYI to anyone interested, WT Kirkman has the Dietz #30 "Little Wizard" on special for $9.95 +S/H for a limited time, they got in a batch that are plain unmarked tanks. That's a pretty good price and shipping was reasonable.

http://www.lanternnet.com/Merchant2/mer ... gory_Code=

This one holds a pint of fuel and runs several days. This is a good price, as the globe and burner alone cost that much as spare parts. At that price it's hard to say no.

evan price

Post by evan price »

rightisright wrote:Great post! Any thoughts on this stuff? http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/k ... tive-1-gal
Sorry I missed this.
Klean Heat is good stuff, burns clean and has less odor than K1, but it costs 3-4 times what good K1 costs. I don't know about everyone elses' living area, but around here we have K1 Kerosene pumps at most gas stations. Of course I'm in a rural area not a city so there's that to consider. Around here I pay about $4/gallon for clear K1 Kero, and I bring my own jugs.

I get these from a family member:

They are 15-gallon, closed head drums. They have two bungs in the top and a decently sturdy handle. He gets them from the car wash he works at, they are used to supply soaps and liquid waxes for the automatic car wash. I rinse them out very well with water first until the water runs clear then let them air dry in the sun. Once they are clean and dry I fill with K1 Kerosene, and then I stash them in a nice dark corner of my barn. I have a number of suction transfer pumps for filling smaller kerosene cans and tanks for heaters.

I surf Craigslist regularly and look for old kerosene and gasoline cans, the kind that are before the EPA douchbaggery they call a vented nozzle. I've got a good stash of pre-ban 5-gallon and 2-gallon containers for transferring small amounts to the house. I often find good deals on kerosene heaters and people throw in the fuel cans. I recondition old but usable kerosene heaters and offer them to people in need. In the off season when people are cleaning out sheds and garages you can pick up decent used heaters for under $50 and often under $25. Often they need nothing more than a good cleaning and wick servicing, sometimes they need a new wick or igniter but that's cheap.

These are a 5-gallon bulk mini-drum, that you used to be able to buy all over the place. But they are not EPA compliant and nobody sells them anymore.

These Chilton containers have good spouts and good vents. They also used to be all over the place and were a favorite back when I did landscape work for all my fuels. I still have a few of these in various sizes for gasoline 1.1 gallon to 5.25 gallon. Plus a 6-gallon Diesel and a 5-gallon Kerosene. BUT, again, the EPA regulated these things out of existence and I lock them up almost as securely as I do my ammunition. Pre-ban fuel cans are a serious black market item, no sh*t, and it kills me to even have to admit there is such a thing as a "Pre ban fuel can".

gandalf23

Post by gandalf23 »

My wife and I bought 10 or so of these little red lanterns at a garage sale to use at our wedding, I'd almost forgotten about them.
IMG_1335.JPG
Says they are "No 202 Globe Brand The World Lighting MFY Made In Hong Kong"

Think they'll be any good? We never used them other than as decoration. Most of them don't have wicks even.

Guess I need to get some kerosene and wicks and try them out. Where does one find wicks?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.