Kerosene Lanterns for the prepper or camper

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
PawPaw

Re: Kerosene Lanterns for the prepper or camper

Post by PawPaw »

Interesting post. I completed a patio project this past summer, and now I'm considering lighting options. Frankly, I had never considered kerosene lanterns, but this makes me think in a whole new direction.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
evan price

Post by evan price »

MarkD wrote:Interesting.

How long can kerosene be stored?
If stored in a sealed, preferably opaque container away from temperature swings, forever. Kerosene is an oil not a solvent. It can get condensation in the container so you should have a way to deal with that. I've used kerosene that is 30 years old.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

worthy of a wiki
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

PawPaw wrote:Interesting post. I completed a patio project this past summer, and now I'm considering lighting options. Frankly, I had never considered kerosene lanterns, but this makes me think in a whole new direction.
You'll love it from an ambiance standpoint. Add a fire pit and/or hot tub? You can keep your 'ol rope lighting and LED lanterns.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

evan price wrote:
MarkD wrote:Interesting.

How long can kerosene be stored?
If stored in a sealed, preferably opaque container away from temperature swings, forever. Kerosene is an oil not a solvent. It can get condensation in the container so you should have a way to deal with that. I've used kerosene that is 30 years old.
So a "plastic" Walmart gas can would be out?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Great post! Any thoughts on this stuff? http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/k ... tive-1-gal
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Greg wrote:I have a couple of Uco mini candle lanterns that I bought from Countycomm.
The bigger Uco lanterns are much better. I own both kinds.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:
Greg wrote:I have a couple of Uco mini candle lanterns that I bought from Countycomm.
May I ask, better in what ways and to what degree? I always found the larger lanterns appealing but the candles are, burn time per dollar, a bit over an order of magnitude more expensive than tea candles.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

found this Kleen Heet review on Home Depot's website
Excellent for oil lamps, especially my Aladdin mantle lamps.

February 22, 2013

I repair and restore oil lamps, be they flat wick, tubular (round) wick or mantle lamps like ALADDIN lamps.
All perform better with this oil, and the odor is so small as to be negligible. Make sure to leave at least 1/2 inch of headspace in the font when filling, as any oil expands when it warms.
I particularly like it's clean-burning properties.
I discovered Klean-Heat when a friend moved and left me four gallons...I started using it in oil lamps, and have not looked back>
It is also competitively priced with liquid paraffin, as I've seen a 3 liter (3 qt. 4 oz.) container for as much as $18 within the last few days.
It is stable for as long as it's in the original container, or properly stored in a kerosene (blue color) container.

DO NOT store the oil in the lamps if you can prevent it, as any oil will give off volatiles over time, decreasing it's burnability. Instead, keep the oil safely stored, with a funnel and paper towels to hand for cleanup.
IMMEDIATELY after wiping up any spills, move the oily rags/towels outside to a METAL container in case of fire.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Greg wrote:
Weetabix wrote:
May I ask, better in what ways and to what degree? I always found the larger lanterns appealing but the candles are, burn time per dollar, a bit over an order of magnitude more expensive than tea candles.
Mind you this is qualitative and based on affection, but...

The larger one seems to burn a bit brighter. I'd guess it's because the shape of the candle holder and the spring that feeds the candle as it burns keeps the flame in a good spot for throwing light and keeps the fuel source of the melted wax uniform and... optimum? It's probably a function of the size of the wick in the larger candles as well.

The fact that it collapses seems to make it travel better as well. I've had the small one's glass break.

It disassembles easily for cleaning. Although the small one may not need the same sort of cleaning.

Now you've got me thinking I need to break both out and compare them side by side, though.

I use mine to read at night when camping. I have a two reflectors I hang on it: sometimes a side reflector, and usually a top one. That probably contributes to the difference in perceived brightness, too.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D