Finally....I have my first gun!

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
Dub_James

Re: Finally....I have my first gun!

Post by Dub_James »

Congrats! Next stop, CCW! (If you can where you are)
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
groover000

Post by groover000 »

Thanks everyone for the great responses. After the first couple of magazines of not hitting anything, I started to figure it was my fault, but I asked the gunsmith there just to make sure. If I had to guess I would say that I am flinching in anticipation of the shot. There are some good ideas here that I will try when I make my second visit to the range. CombatController: when I shot the Glock, from what I remember there were no problems and the bullet went where I told it to go.

I had read that it would be a good idea to start with a .22, but limited funds dictated that I spend the money on something that would be good for home defense, as well as learning to shoot. No option was perfect, but I figure it will come together sooner or later.

By the way, I live in Las Vegas if anyone on here is in the area. I will let you all know how it goes after the next range visit.

Thanks again.

John
sam

Post by sam »

groover000 wrote: By the way, I live in Las Vegas if anyone on here is in the area. I will let you all know how it goes after the next range visit.

Thanks again.

John
You live in Vegas? Get thee to Frontsight.

Seriously. You are right there. Search eBay for "Front Sight certificate." One person for a four day class, or two for a two day class.

Can't beat it for the money. You won't regret it. Trust me. I've been there many times. Want to go back, when I can afford it.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Don't blame you for your choice at all. Makes sense after all. Now you know the problem, you can fix it and away we go!
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

I empathize with your desire for your first firearm to be home defense capable. I didn't get my first .22 pistol until earlier this year. In spite of what everyone says, I didn't really understand how much fun it could be until I experienced it myself. The best part is not having the nagging feeling that you are tossing a quarter, (or half dollar), into a lake every time you pull the trigger!

Xavier at Xavier Thoughts has a lot of good information on getting started in shooting. He also has a link to an article on eye dominance.

If you want to investigate the possibility of mis-adjusted sights, shoot from a rest. A pistol rest can be as simple as a sand bag or as fancy as one of these, or these.
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
Dedicated_Dad

Post by Dedicated_Dad »

The best advice I have seen is the "snap cap" -- I've done this to friends who swore my pistol was "off" - proved they were flinching. You should be able to buy them for a buck or 2.

The best thing is to have someone else load the mags for you, and slip one in at random. You'll see your flinch in a great big hurry.

As has been said, don't let it get you down. Happens to everyone. When you overcome it you'll feel a million times better!!

DD

PS: PRACTICE.
workinwifdakids wrote:MV Gun Counter: "We're like Blackwater, except without the impulse control."
Random Internet Moron wrote: "High Caliber Magazine Clips are only useful for random slaughter of innocent civilians, so they should only be used by the police."
Ben Rumson

Post by Ben Rumson »

groover000 wrote: I had read that it would be a good idea to start with a .22, but limited funds dictated that I spend the money on something that would be good for home defense, as well as learning to shoot. No option was perfect, but I figure it will come together sooner or later.

John
I stated out with a XD40.. I spent a huge amount of money learning pistol control. I added up the cost of ammo and range time and was very surprised and pissed as to how much I spent over time..

Try this.. Based on your previous trip to the range, figure out how many rounds of ammo your going to need to shoot before becoming proficient.. For the sake of argument with myself, I'll guess you'll estimate over a thousand rounds. Take the cost of a single box 50 rounds and multiply it by twenty. I'm guessing your over $300.00. Now add the range time. You may be over $400.00. You can buy a new .22lr Browning Buckmark for $300.00. A box of 550 rounds of target .22lr will cost about $15.00. (500 rounds of .45ACP=$150.00) (500 rounds of .22lr=$15.00) Bite the bullet and buy a .22lr. Welcome to the sport and have fun keeping a balance in your checking account. I know I can't. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Evyl Robot

Post by Evyl Robot »

My first gun was a .44 Magnum. Somehow, it surprised me when I developed the flinch. It has been a lot of work to overcome it, but I've become a fairly good shot since then. I agree with the suggestion to get a .22, but keep throwing the big bores downrange as well. Don't give up, by any means! Dryfire practice is a great idea as is the surprise snap cap. You may also try shooting some other guns with some serious recoil! When you come back to the XD45, it will feel like a pussycat.
1911Man

Post by 1911Man »

Groover,

You're still pretty new to this shooting thing. The secret is not to get discouraged and quit. Keep up the practice. It will come with time.

I have been shooting for years and I still flinch when I know that the .300 Win mag is going to pound my shoulder when I pull the trigger. I practice dry-firing with a snap cap whenever I can get a chance.

I'm not so bad with a pistol. I sometimes rush my pistol shots though and that's when I get flyers. (A flyer is a hit outside the circle of your shot grouping.)
My ideas are mine. You go out and get your own!
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Purchase some snap caps or dummy rounds. Then randomly load them into your mags. This will do two things. First it will help you practice malfunction drills so you know what to do when there is no bang and second it will make your flinch very obvious when you drop the hammer on a dummy.