Finally....I have my first gun!

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
groover000

Re: Finally....I have my first gun!

Post by groover000 »

First range trip was yesterday afternoon. Took a box of 100 Winchester White Box. Okay, I don't want to sound like an idiot, but how does this thing aim? Put the target out and went through three magazines without even hitting it. I kept bringing it in close until I hit it, which was about ten feet away. The only way I could hit the target was if I aimed high from what I wanted to hit. I thought something must be wrong with the gun. Bear in mind that this was the first time I have fired a .45.

I ended up firing about 50 rounds and left feeling completely humiliated. I went to see the gunsmith who put something in the barrel that had a laser on it. He said it was aiming fine, but he did say that the XD aims a bit differently. He said when all three dot were aligned, the point of impact would be covered. I thought that the three dots were supposed to be directly under what I was aiming at. Could someone shed some light on this subject for me please?

Other than that though I like the way the gun felt. As I said this was my first time shooting a .45. The only other handgun that I have shot was a few magazines from a Glock 19 about 6 years ago. The recoil on the first shot was more than I expected, but I am sure I will get used to it. The gun seems put together really well and everything seems nice and tight. Now, if I can get the whole aim thing down I should be good to go. Hopefully someone here who has an XD can fill me in.

Thanks in advance.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

The dots are there just to help you line things up. You want the top edge of the front sight post to bisect the point of aim. (The bottom half of whatever you're aiming at should be below the front sight post). The front sight post should be centered on the target left to right. It should also be centered between the rear sight posts. The top edges of the front and rear sight posts should be aligned with each other. >>>PICTURE<<<

You might be flinching or jerking the trigger when firing. Ask a range staffer to help you out.
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
Erik

Post by Erik »

I agree with Catbird. (Except maybe for bullseye shooting, when a lot of shooters set their sights to shoot "ball", that is to aim under the black center of a target, showing the "ball" above the sights)

However, when I went to a range in the US this summer, the guns I shot was all set to hit where the frontsight covered it. That is, center of the gray front sight in the picture in Catbirds comment.
The instructor told me that's the way they were supposed to be aimed, and I didn't question it, I just went with it. I'm not sure if that was just how that range sighted their guns though, but it sounds like what the gunsmith told you.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Fivetoes

Post by Fivetoes »

Keep working on it Groover. For starters I suggest you work on consistancy. Don't worry about where you are hitting but work on how big a group you are making. Once you get that down then you will find it easier to hit where you want to. Just get a big ass piece of cardboard and put a mark in the middle to aim at. Work with different ammo, it is not all the same. Work on holding your gun with a firm grip but not like you are strangling it. Consistancy of hold it the key.
If you can find an experienced shooter at the range chances are he will give you all the help you ask for.
Good luck, you will get better.
Erik

Post by Erik »

+1 on that too.
One thing that I feel helped me the first times was that the instructor made a circle, about 8inches in diameter, and told me to place the shots inside it. He said it was easier for a beginner to do that than to try and hit an "X". If it seems too easy for the student, he simply moves the target further out. Too hard, and he moves it closer. I think it helped me, made it easier to concentrate on the basics and get some consistency.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

A -- get a dummy barrel, if you can find one for an XD -- I'm pretty sure I have a link to a dummy barrel for an XD 45 (you don't need a dummy barrel, but IMO, they're a good idea for dry fire practice/esp. for practicing a draw, and they're reasonable.)

B. While dry firing, focus on your front sight. Concentrate on only moving your trigger finger straight back, and not moving the rest of the muscles in your hand -- essentially, you're concentrating on keeping the sights in position while pressing the trigger.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

You may have developed a bit of a flinch, no worries, it happens to us all at some point. It is a bit more overwhelming at first than one would suspect. The key is to hold tight and steady while you pull back the trigger and concentrate hard. This way you will be a bit surprised when it goes off, which is good, as you don't nosedive the gun anticipating recoil. This is where I beat the dead horse about shooting a .22 auto pistol. this will allow you to troubleshoot your grip and show where your groups are. Your experience sounds like you are anticipating and that causes the barrel to nosedive just prior to ignition. Hence you have to aim high. This is caused by a sudden tightening of the grip, so try and hold it steady the whole time. Combine it with the 6 o'clock low hold of the XD and you will be hitting at the bottom of your target.

Are you right handed? If so, are you right eye dominant? I am left and it has bedeviled me for years. I always shoot to the left of my target and low. Sucks.

How did you do with the Glock all those years ago? Don't worry about feeling humiliated, it is just a sign you need more practice. We all suck at stuff the first few times we try it, that's the nature of the beast. Heck, I have friend who loves shooting and he can't hit the broadside of a barn. This does not stop him from going though! :o He is a terrible shot and will not take the obvious steps to correct it. You on the other hand are willing to learn, so no one will mock you for asking for help (if they do they are dicks and should be avoided). Listen, watch and repeat what you have be instructed and you should be there in no time flat.

Hope this helps. You could also see if one of our members is in your area and will take you out shooting. We are a nice bunch here, I am sure you are near somebody....
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Ben Rumson

Post by Ben Rumson »

I need to cover the bullseye with my XD40.

As others have said, it sounds like your flinching. See if the range has a snap cap and load it in the middle of the magazine somewhere. If your flinching, it will show when the snap cap is chambered , doesn't fire and your body jerks even though the gun didn't go off.

A friend of mine was way off target, he went and got an instructor to try the gun. The gun worked fine for the instructor. When the instructor loaded a magazine for my friend, he only racked the slide part way making my friend think a bullet was chambered. Well, friend pulled the trigger, flinched and the gun never went off. It was only then that he realized how bad he was fliunching.

Just be carefull when you cycle the snap cap out of the chamber. Treat it like a dead round/clearing exercise. Might want to do it with an instructor by your side. Most good ranges will spend a few minutes with you without charging for it.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

My first pistol was a .45, I should've got a .22 first. Develop good habits with the .22, then move up to the larger caliber.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
sam

Post by sam »

1. Sight alignment (said above)
2. Sight picture (see Catbird's link)
3. Trigger press (described above)
4. Follow through - get your sights back on target after the shot. You should have one more sight picture than trigger presses.