Springfield XD .45acp.....4" or 5"

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
groover000

Springfield XD .45acp.....4" or 5"

Post by groover000 »

Thinking about buying an XD soon, but was wondering what the difference is between the 4" and 5" model other than 1". Is one more accurate than the other? Anything else I should know? This will be my first handgun. Thanks in advance.
Ben Rumson

Re: Springfield XD .45acp.....4" or 5"

Post by Ben Rumson »

Welcome aboard. The extra inch won't matter in accuracy. Get the 4" in case you decide to get a CCW once you become proficient.
Ben Rumson

Post by Ben Rumson »

The 45 will cost a lot in ammo learning how to use it. A XD9 would be more cost effective.. To get a feel for what I'm talking about, look up the price for a thousand rounds of 45 and a thousand rounds of 9. You'll most likely shoot way over a thousand rounds if you really get into it. ;)
The Quiet Man

Post by The Quiet Man »

Ben Rumson wrote:The 45 will cost a lot in ammo learning how to use it. A XD9 would be more cost effective.. To get a feel for what I'm talking about, look up the price for a thousand rounds of 45 and a thousand rounds of 9. You'll most likely shoot way over a thousand rounds if you really get into it. ;)
Heh...it will take you a thousand rounds to properly break that baby in! ;)

Welcome aboard.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Great guns, and to be honest the 5" really is not all that different that you will notice, pr most folks for that matter. The 4" is a pretty good all around size and is handy. All of mine (except for the sub compact) are/were 4" guns.

Dead reliable too, never had a single failure in 5 guns, ever.

Welcome aboard!
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Whirlibird

Post by Whirlibird »

It mostly depends on what you plan to do with it.
As a belt gun the 5" is easy to carry as is the 4", but the 5" gives the full ballistic potential for the .45 cartridge.
For me the 5" is a bit easier to shoot, the longer sighting radius is an asset, and it balances better for me (YMMV). However if you're going to carry concealed, the 4" is easier to tuck away.
My only real complaint about the XD's is the 'squishy' recoil, it takes a bit of getting used to compared to a 1911 or Glock when trying to run one fast. But that's just my opinion.
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

If you're going to carry it, I'd suggest getting the smaller XD 45 -- I believe there's a compact version w. a 4" barrel, and a shorter grip -- you can return to the full size grip by switching to the standard capacity magazines, w. the grip adapters.

I have the 5" version, and have been very happy w. it, but it's primarily a plinker/bedside/car pistol for me. With a good holster, the 5" may be concealable -- it's not actually that much bigger than a 1911.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

+1 to the 4 incher for CCW. That's what I got and I certainly haven't had any problems with accuracy and, despite being thick, is easily concealed. Especially when using the shorter ten round magazine which is what I leave in it when carrying. I carry one, rarely two, of the longer thirteen round magazines as reloads, but they're not hard to hide as long as they aren't in the mag well.
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom,...Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you...; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

-Samuel Adams

Irate Islander
martini

Post by martini »

I have been very happy with my subcompat xd. But as I have gotten into carrying pocket guns most of the time I am looking at trading it on an XDm in 9mm. It has a 4.5" barrel.
Justice Sotomayor, States may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional. — Alan Gura
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Here a a few pics of 4" XD's .45s and 9mm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.