List of non-credible sources and attributions

This is where we post the rules
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Re: List of non-credible sources and attributions

Post by Combat Controller »

Funny, I met the guy who started JFPO in New Orleans a few weeks ago. He's a friend of a friend.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

It's funny how formerly-reliable bloggers have gone off the deep end. I'm thinking specifically of Michael Yon and the guy who did Little Green Footballs. Both used to be very good and very reliable, but now not-so-much.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Captain Wheelgun wrote:That's too bad. I went to an Appleseed clinic a few years ago, learned a lot about position shooting. I had thought about going to another one to get my Rifleman patch.
Improving your shooting is not the same thing as relying on them for news. I still intend to attend an Appleseed clinic.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I have to admit, I don't much trust anyone for direct news any more. I tend to look to people I trust and who have more research energy than I do to find a reasonable outlook.

A site I see cited often but which doesn't often enter my sight (as it were) is Drudge. Are they reliable, though hyperbolic?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

You should read Drudge every day, not because he's right or wrong or whatever but because he has allot of influence on what is discussed by the media. Also remember that he is a news aggregator and as such usually only links to stories from other sites rather than publishing his own material.
Termite

Post by Termite »

CByrneIV wrote:"Fred" of fredoneverything.net
Oh come on, now. :lol:

You read/link to Fred for the entertainment, not for news.

And Coast to Coast is great listening while driving down to the heliport. Keeps me amused and awake.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

Kommander wrote:
Highspeed wrote:BBC - AKA British Broadcasting Corporation.
I can cite any amount of reasons, but I won't clutter the thread up with them.
I don't know if you know this but many in the US consider the BBC to be better source of news than the major US networks
I did. I think the problem is that the BBC seems a lot more 'serious' than US news channels. It's easy to mistake that for impartiality.
If there are two sides to an issue the BBC will always be on the left ( and on the side of big government - after all, that's how they get funded )
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Highspeed wrote:. . . I think the problem is that the BBC seems a lot more 'serious' than US news channels. It's easy to mistake that for impartiality.
If there are two sides to an issue the BBC will always be on the left ( and on the side of big government - after all, that's how they get funded )
Well, they have those plummy accents that to American ears sound so cultured and educated and serious compared to the flat midwestern accents on American TV. And that's even without not smiling! Given the American prejudice, it's only natural they believe the station is impartial when they take the Leftist side.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Jered

Post by Jered »

Coast to Coast AM: Because the truth is out there. So is Art Bell.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

One of my buddies ran the flight deck on our ship. This typically meant if we didn't have helo's along for the ride, we had unlimited access to Crash & Smash (big table for card games), the helo office (Nintendo and coffee mess) and the Helo Control Tower (BBC). For some crazy reason we didn't actually hear much about our depolyments or what was going on in the parts of the world we were in from AFN. It may not be ideal, but it beats nothing. Especially downrange.