AR-15 "Off the books"

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Denis

Re: AR-15 "Off the books"

Post by Denis »

bunkerguy wrote:i am thinking about doing this,but there is no machine shop that i know of in vegas that offer this, what should i do?
Welcome, bunkerguy.

Are you sure you don't work for the BATFE? If so, get yourself a mill, or go back and ask around the machine shops. A block of aluminium in the shape of an 80%-finished AR receiver will cost you about 200 US Dollars, from any number of online sources.
Flintlock Tom

Post by Flintlock Tom »

Denis wrote:
bunkerguy wrote:i am thinking about doing this,but there is no machine shop that i know of in vegas that offer this, what should i do?
Welcome, bunkerguy.

Are you sure you don't work for the BATFE? If so, get yourself a mill, or go back and ask around the machine shops. A block of aluminium in the shape of an 80%-finished AR receiver will cost you about 200 US Dollars, from any number of online sources.
Actually about $80 to $90 from the source linked above.
If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?
Denis

Post by Denis »

Flintlock Tom wrote:Actually about $80 to $90 from the source linked above.
My mistake - I was thinking of milled, rather than forged, 80% receivers, which a bit more expensive.
bunkerguy

Post by bunkerguy »

Denis wrote:
Welcome, bunkerguy.

if i did i would be making far more money that i am making now. lol :jacked:
bunkerguy

Post by bunkerguy »

Denis wrote:
Flintlock Tom wrote:Actually about $80 to $90 from the source linked above.
My mistake - I was thinking of milled, rather than forged, 80% receivers, which a bit more expensive.
how do they differ?
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

CombatController wrote:Or print one with a 3D printer!

Not that the info about owning it by boing boing is actually that accurate....
Ever notice the ones most enamored with "3d printing" are those that have the least experience(if any) with manufacturing?
Denis wrote:or go back and ask around the machine shops.
I don't know any shop that would do it. Don't want the hassle, don't want the liability, and it certainly isn't profitable to them.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Somebody won't need to go to a machine shop to make off the book lowers.
http://coolstuffwelike.blogspot.com/201 ... upply.html
Now, will the information about how to make such lowers become the "thing" prohibited from unregistered interstate movement?
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Too small. I'd consider something in the Seig X2 size to be a minimum if you're going to self build lowers.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

CByrneIV wrote:Also, how are you going to line bore the rear ring? You don't have the clearance for that with a mill as small as the X2/SX2.
Hell if I know, "I'm a [strike]Doctor[/strike]Lawyer, not a machinist!"
I'm always fascinated by the efforts to regulate things that don't need to be grown in a specific place with specific climatic requirements, things that schools turn out thousands of graduates every year who are trained in all the techniques and steps necessary to make things, and which the "precursor" machines are all for sale everywhere at (now) reasonable prices. This one I linked to might not be the best suited for this purpose, but I take it that it could be done.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
bella88

Post by bella88 »

The lower receiver is no different than a standard AR-15 receiver I have also been looking for a AR-15 upper receiver.
ar15 lower receiver