AR-15 "Off the books"

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Netpackrat

Re: AR-15 "Off the books"

Post by Netpackrat »

scipioafricanus wrote:So how does that work with the Gummint: owning, making, and/or buying a receiver without numbers?
Owning and making work fine. Buying, not so much.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Precision

Post by Precision »

CByrneIV wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:
scipioafricanus wrote:So how does that work with the Gummint: owning, making, and/or buying a receiver without numbers?
Owning and making work fine. Buying, not so much.
Or selling, or taking across state lines.
The taking across state lines would be the thing I would be afraid of ACCIDENTALLY doing / having a family member do ACCIDENTALLY. But otherwise, super cool if only for the fact that you can.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Flintlock Tom

Post by Flintlock Tom »

Why would taking it across state lines be an issue? It complies with all ATF requirements.
It was purchased before it was a firearm, just a piece of aluminum. I built a firearm out of it. Home-built firearms are okay with the .gov as long as it is not an NFA firearm and not for sale (or transfer).

https://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-lo ... eiver.html
If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?
Flintlock Tom

Post by Flintlock Tom »

Thank you!
I DON'T want to be the "test case."
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

First, I'm assuming this would be verboten in my own state of NJ. Still, if one completed such a lower, what would you need to do, legally, if you moved to a new state? Destroy it?
Flintlock Tom

Post by Flintlock Tom »

Wide range of answers depending on the state.
If I were moving I would either add a serial number/markings to make it "transfer-able" and sell it or bring it along and comply with my new state's laws.
Dinochrome

Post by Dinochrome »

NVGdude wrote:
Dinochrome wrote: Good job! I remember seeing one of these receivers milled out of solid brass,.....

It's an AR-15 receiver, you could mill it out of walnut and it would work just fine. (maybe not for .458 SOCOM though :mrgreen: )
The brass receiver was done for looks; maybe the guy wanted it to match his Winchester '66. :mrgreen:

If I were to build a wooden AR receiver, I think I would use something denser than walnut. Maybe ironwood or ebony with some bearing inserts for the thru-pins and metal reinforcement for the buffer-tube attachment.
"Fair is fair; If somebody tries to kill you, kill them right back."
Captain Malcolm of Serenity
TheIrishman

Post by TheIrishman »

MarkD wrote:First, I'm assuming this would be verboten in my own state of NJ. Still, if one completed such a lower, what would you need to do, legally, if you moved to a new state? Destroy it?
Actually looked into it a while ago. It is not illegal to finish your own 80% receiver in NJ. The upper and butt stock must pass our B.S. assault weapons ban(no bayo lug/threads/flash hider/adjustable stock) and I believe it is recommended(even by BATFU) that you mark it in some way, usually your name, county or city of residence, date of manufacture and some sort of serial #(even if it is 0000000001).
CByrneIV wrote:Or selling,
According to the BATFU it is legal to sell a home made firearm, so long as you're not building it for the purpose of selling it. But then again they are known to either make up rules or change their minds on a whim. I think if you were to build one, shoot it for a few years then decide to sell it in a private sale(don't think an FFL would be to quick to put it in his bound book) you should be fine. At least that was the answer several people got from BATFU over at homegunsmith.com. There were several PDFs posted by members on the forum to that effect.
Formally the IrateIrishman
toad

Post by toad »

If you mark it with a serial number, manufacturers name and place of manufacture, do you have to send that info into the BATF or are the markings sufficient in themselves?
toad

Post by toad »

Pity Mil-Spec barrels cost so darn much. :cry: