Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Denis

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Denis »

Evyl Robot wrote:I'm reading The gun Counter. And, I'm having the computer speak it out for some of the longer entries. I'm looking at you, 308 Mike. ;) :lol:
Does your computer do Mike's voice too? :)

I seem to assign an "inner voice" to people whose writing I read often. I remember being quite surprised at CC's Fiesta some years ago that people's real voices corresponded quite closely to what I had imagined. Except CC himself, of course - when he gets into his mimicry routine - he can do so many... I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Mike yet, but I do have a voice for him!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

CByrneIV wrote:Yeah, seriously... we've gotta find this man a job.
Which one? :roll:
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Greg

Post by Greg »

Rich wrote:Finished "The Hot Gate." Ringo left room for a sequel, but I suspect it will be a while before he gets back to it, if then.

If you're looking for loose ends, this trilogy's got them. :lol:
Well that's cool then, because there are supposed to be 5 books. :D

Waiting on "The Hot Gate" myself in the meantime I've been rereading some things, mainly Gordon Dickson.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Matthew Mayner

Post by Matthew Mayner »

Just finished Hard Magic. I didn't know they sold deep fried awesome!

Starting Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
Jered

Post by Jered »

I'm reading The Road to Serfdom.

I ordered Tom Kratman's next two books in his Legio del Cid series. So, sometime this week, I'll be starting the Amazon Legion and The Lotus Eaters.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

Just finished S. M. Stirling's "A Taint in the Blood," and reread Pratchett/Gaiman's "Good Omens." Now working on "Neptune's Inferno" about the US Navy's Battle at Guadalcanal. Hornfischer's previous books have been amazing, and from the first few chapters it seems this one will be too.
Chicks dig fixed bayonets
randy

Post by randy »

CByrneIV wrote:
Aegis wrote:Just finished S. M. Stirling's "A Taint in the Blood,"
Yaknow, that's one of the books I'm reading right now, and I'm having a hard time getting into it.
Is it one of his usual light hearted treatments of cheerful subject matter? (ala' The Draka?)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I wound up back in Shelby Foote's The Civil War: A Narrative. I thought I was picking up late in the first volume, but found that I was really landing in the midst of the second volume, near Vicksburg, and heading for Gettysburg. :roll:

BTW, have you seen that History Channel will be starting a new show on Gettysburg on Memorial Day? Ridley Scott is the executive producer, hopefully it won't suck too bad.

http://www.history.com/shows/gettysburg ... %20channel
Eppur si muove--Galileo
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Just finished The Road to Serfdom, and am working my way through (around grading and dissertation research) The Wealth and Poverty of Nations by Richard Landes, The Thirty Years War by C.V. Wedgwood, both of which I recommend without reservation, and Book I of Spenser's The Fairie Queene.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!