buyin' an EBR

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
Whirlibird

Re: buyin' an EBR

Post by Whirlibird »

chrisb wrote:Man, I would be leery of anything the brain addled crack heads at Century had their hands on.
Almost nothing that can't be fixed. Been there, done that.
kparker

Post by kparker »

OK, are DS Arms available other than directly from the mfr, and (more to the point) at a price less than list? Because I see somebody out there selling Springfield M1A's with 22" barrel and synthetic stock for $1390 direct to your FFL. If it's that compared to an entry-level DS FAL at $1650, why wouldn't I go with the Springfield?
kparker

Post by kparker »

Or maybe the prior question should be--my only modern semiauto rifle at all is a KelTec SU16C. (Also have an 1894C in .357mag, and SKS, and a number of bolt-actions.) The KelTec seems to work fine for 100 ~ 200 yards, so maybe that's all the poodle-shooter I need.

At any rate, please opine--if you were in my position, and looking at the uncertain future, would you get a real AR before you got a .308 battle rifle, and if so, which one?
Whirlibird

Post by Whirlibird »

kparker wrote:OK, are DS Arms available other than directly from the mfr, and (more to the point) at a price less than list? Because I see somebody out there selling Springfield M1A's with 22" barrel and synthetic stock for $1390 direct to your FFL. If it's that compared to an entry-level DS FAL at $1650, why wouldn't I go with the Springfield?
I don't know where you're shopping...
DSA $1200

DSA $1100 STG58

DSA STG58 $1025

Cause the FAL is easier to work on.
Cause the FAL is more ergonomic.
Cause it's a FAL
kparker

Post by kparker »

whirlibird,

The gunbroker.com link makes sense, but the other two both go to the same entry at Apex:
Original Webley MKIV hammer missing the firing pin but includes the catch and swivel assemblies.
And when I go back to the top at Apex and navigate down to the FAL section, it's clear these guys are selling parts; no sign of complete firearms anywhere.
kparker

Post by kparker »

Whirlibird,

Hopefully starting a (friendly!) rwar of FAL vs M14 isn't off-topic here.

I really need to be educated here...
Cause the FAL is more ergonomic.
What other features, besides the pistol grip, do you prefer over the M14?
Cause the FAL is easier to work on.
By "working on" are you talking about just strip and clean, or about doing/installing mods?
Cause it's a FAL
What other details does this imply? Are SA M-14's not well-made these days or something?
tcourtplayer

Post by tcourtplayer »

kparker wrote:OK, are DS Arms available other than directly from the mfr, and (more to the point) at a price less than list? Because I see somebody out there selling Springfield M1A's with 22" barrel and synthetic stock for $1390 direct to your FFL. If it's that compared to an entry-level DS FAL at $1650, why wouldn't I go with the Springfield?
Keep in mind those prices are what they charge YOU, not gun dealers. Find a friendly gun dealer that is willing to order what you want at their discounted price. I know JAG did this when we were both looking for FAL's and DSA gave the dealer a great price and they only marked it up a little to cover their costs and such and everyone won.
JAG: So why do you need armor piercing ammo?
tcourtplayer: Zombies
JAG: For when they hide behind engine blocks?
tcourtplayer: Just because the movies say they will be dumb and slow doesn't make it true.
JAG: WOW!!!
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

My SA M1A is more accurate than I am (I've also been tending towards iron sights lately - I like the larger view). One of these days when I put some good glass on it, I might find the need to try and "accurize it" - but I'm thinking of using my M1A for NRA Sporting Rifle matches too.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
kparker

Post by kparker »

308Mike,

How recent a vintage is your SA M14? Any comment about current manufacturing quality?
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

kparker wrote:308Mike,

How recent a vintage is your SA M14? Any comment about current manufacturing quality?
I got mine in March of 2007, and it's a California-ized "Loaded M1A", with walnut stock and carbon-steel barrel.
M1A - IMG_0501.jpg
So far, I have NO complaints whatsoever (besides the stupid California laws keeping me from making it an "assault weapon").
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad