buyin' an EBR

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
mulligan

Re: buyin' an EBR

Post by mulligan »

one
short term target training
long term groceries
ammo should be something I can find on a shelf in my zip code on any given sunday
wood introduces an additional facet of maintenance I don't see a need for.
I have a .45 ..so available but not visible is covered when i get my permit.
city indoor ranges ...50yards or less

two
i could see a scope, possibly a laser & perhaps a bipod someday if i run out of other stuff to buy

three
budget limit $1500
Joe ex PNG

Post by Joe ex PNG »

There's always the Mech Tech CCU. You have a couple of options there:
1) If you already have either a 1911 or a .45 Glock- get one that fits your existing gun.
2) Buy a Glock 21 (full sized .45) and a .45 CCU.
3) OR do the same as #2 but in a different caliber.
Bill Heinbach

Post by Bill Heinbach »

If you are willing to go to the AK platform instead of the AR, you might want to check out Classic Arms. They also have the Saigas (civilian model Russian AK). Side mounts and mag combos available for a good price if you buy the rifle from them.
Formerly known as TheOtherBill
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Buy a couple of AR lowers that way you are covered and then accessory them, TUBAR them, or whatever.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Whirlibird

Post by Whirlibird »

mulligan wrote:the election has definitely moved my plans from the 'eventually' category to the 'asap' category and my concern about post election repercussions has driven a re-prioritization of funds.

The idea of multiple caliber support is a plus in my book. Should bad things happen and one type of ammo get banned or scarce or expensive, I would still be shooting the same rifle without changing grip, scope, etc.

Overall cost is an issue, but I don't mind investing in the right tool for the job. While the immediate purpose is to get one in my home while its legal, the need to practice without busting the budget is a consideration as well. Eventually, I should be able to cut the grocery bill and buy ammo to fill the freezer but that's still a ways off.

Is accessory compatibility an issue or is it just a matter of finding the right mounting brackets?
In AR's the compatability often comes from people who swap bolt/bolt carriers, uppers, other operating parts without careful consideration of how and where they attach or what they touch and what effect may come from what they muck with. Plus hanging too much garbage on a rifle is never a good thing.

As for deals, there are a few around.
Classic Arms was mentioned a few posts back has CETME's and crack-monkey AR-15's (Century made receiver) for some pretty fair prices. < $600

For a starter, the CETME isn't a bad choice, mags are cheap, it's a pre-G3 rifle designed by the H&K engineers before they were H&K. New stocks and barrels. Worth a look.
The CETME had conventional rifling unlike the H&K produced weapons.

The Century AR's are esentially a mix of SP-1 and A-2 style Colt rifles, using surplus Colt parts on a Century receiver. The AR's are one of the guns that even Century will have a hard time screwing up. (It could happen though :roll: )
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Fast Rope has a G3 for sale right now, and it is super accurate and reliable. We did the Appleseed shoot with it three or four years ago.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

Man, I would be leery of anything the brain addled crack heads at Century had their hands on.
Joe ex PNG

Post by Joe ex PNG »

Iffin I had $1500 for an EBR, Ida go fer a SIG 556 sidefolder.
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

I would buy a decent M4gry from Bushmaster, Rock River, etc. Then I would buy a case of ammo and all the mags I had money left over for.
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

chrisb wrote:I would buy a decent M4gry from Bushmaster, Rock River, etc. Then I would buy a case of ammo and all the mags I had money left over for.
+1 to that, start basic, stock up on mags, then accessorize. Though I like our M-4geries in "standard" configuration.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.