Pelican Case Review

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Whirlibird

Re: Pelican Case Review

Post by Whirlibird »

D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Whirlibird wrote:Zero-Halliburton Gun cases.
http://www.cases2go.com/shopdisplayprod ... Q_id_E_409

Zero home page:
http://www.zerocases.com/
Thanks for the links! The gun cases look too small for my needs. I will be buying Hardigg/Storm cases next unless someone has better suggestions.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

I picked up a Starlight two-rifle case several years ago and it has done just fine in the back of a jeep or pickup over fairly bumpy terrain; I have NOT used it for air travel yet. It has the friction type latches, lockpoints are right next to the latches, and I use smaller locks so even if the latches popped I doubt even a pen knife could escape.

Of course that may not be the best for airline travel, but its a plastic case... whether a small or large lock was used it would be easier to cut the plastic than the lock.

http://www.starlightcases.com/home.html
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

The Halliburton gun cases appear to only be available in a couple different single gun case models. A double long gun case would be nice.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

You may try a tuffpack -- they tend to be fairly popular w. the safari guys -- but not considered as protective as the Pelicans... I really can't figure out how you're having a problem w. latches popping... Are you cutting the foam too deep, maybe? Mine are difficult to open, w. the case empty, but if you eliminated the pressure on the latch, somehow, I could see how you would, maybe, have the latches pop...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Aglifter wrote:You may try a tuffpack -- they tend to be fairly popular w. the safari guys -- but not considered as protective as the Pelicans... I really can't figure out how you're having a problem w. latches popping... Are you cutting the foam too deep, maybe? Mine are difficult to open, w. the case empty, but if you eliminated the pressure on the latch, somehow, I could see how you would, maybe, have the latches pop...
I've looked at the Tuffpack. For international flights, it's very easy to get above the weight limits. If you're not careful loading it, you have a problem when you get to the airport.

I don't cut the foam because I'm always carrying different size guns.

Let me be clear. I don't have much of a problem with the 'old' Pelican cases, which have the difficult-to-close and difficult-to-open friction latches. My problem is with the 'new' Pelican case with the spring lever locking latch.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
martini

Post by martini »

I have to say I ended up buying a couple of storm cases for carrying pistols when flying and could not be happier. I have had no problems with them, tsa couldn't screw them up and they are comfortable to carry. I also like the handles and love the latches. The only down side I can see to the spring loaded latches is that the will become useless if the spring get's broken/worn out. But I don't think that will happen for a long time. I have not tried the Rifle cases yet, but as a pistol case their smaller ones are working great for me.
Justice Sotomayor, States may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional. — Alan Gura
evan price

Post by evan price »

Have you checked out the Guard Force cases? I have one of the single pistol cases (GDS 6226-C) by them and it is a pretty good case. Not waterproof, but stands up to airline travel.

The GDS 6270-C double rifle case is about $120 and they are tough. I will be buying one for shipping my rifles when I travel with them.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
martini

Post by martini »

I won't travel with firearms in a non water proof case after a flight two years ago. I was flying back home and there was a group of hunters on the same flight and had failed to properly pack their meat for flight. my luggage and that of a number of passengers was soaked with blood. As pissed as I was about it I would have been far more upset if my gun had gotten soaked too. (this was before I started carrying regularly.)
Justice Sotomayor, States may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional. — Alan Gura